Cloudera Labs
Provide feedback on Cloudera Labs
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Spark-submit works for yarn-cluster mode but SparkLauncher doesn't, with same params

Spark-submit works for yarn-cluster mode but SparkLauncher doesn't, with same params

New Contributor

I'm able to submit a spark job through spark-submit however when I try to do the same programatically using SparkLauncher, it gives me nothing ( I dont even see a Spark job on the Cloudera UI)

Below is the scenario:

I've a server(say hostname: cr-hdbc101.dev.local:7123) which hosts the hdfs cluster. I push a fat jar to the server which I'm trying to exec. The following spark-submit works as expected and a spark job is submitted in yarn-cluster mode

spark-submit \
      --verbose \
      --class com.digital.StartSparkJob \
      --master yarn \
      --deploy-mode cluster \
      --num-executors 2 \
      --driver-memory 2g \
      --executor-memory 3g \
      --executor-cores 4 \
      /usr/share/Deployments/Consolidateservice.jar "<arg_to_main>"

However the following piece of SparkLauncher code doesn't work

val sparkLauncher = new SparkLauncher()
    sparkLauncher
      .setSparkHome("/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.p0.18/lib/spark")
      .setAppResource("/usr/share/Deployments/Consolidateservice.jar")
      .setMaster("yarn-cluster")
      .setVerbose(true)
      .setMainClass("com.digital.StartSparkJob")
      .setDeployMode("cluster")
      .setConf("spark.driver.cores", "2")
      .setConf("spark.driver.memory", "2g")
      .setConf("spark.executor.cores", "4")
      .setConf("spark.executor.memory", "3g")
      .addAppArgs(<arg_to_main>)
      .startApplication()

Thought maybe SparkLauncher is not getting correct env variables to work with, so I send the following to SparkLauncher, but to no avail(basically I pass everything in the spark-env.sh to SparkLauncher)

val env: java.util.Map[String, String] = new java.util.HashMap[String, String]
    env.put("SPARK_CONF_DIR", "/etc/spark/conf.cloudera.spark_on_yarn")
    env.put("HADOOP_HOME", "/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.p0.18/lib/hadoop")
    env.put("YARN_CONF_DIR", "/etc/spark/conf.cloudera.spark_on_yarn/yarn-conf")
    env.put("SPARK_LIBRARY_PATH", "/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.p0.18/lib/spark/lib")
    env.put("SCALA_LIBRARY_PATH", "/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.p0.18/lib/spark/lib")
    env.put("LD_LIBRARY_PATH", "/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.p0.18/lib/hadoop/lib/native")
    env.put("SPARK_DIST_CLASSPATH", "/etc/spark/conf.cloudera.spark_on_yarn/classpath.txt")

val sparkLauncher = new SparkLauncher(env)
    sparkLauncher
      .setSparkHome("/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.p0.18/lib/spark")...

What adds to the frustration, is that when I use same SparkLauncher code for yarn-client mode, it works perfectly fine.

Can someone please point to me what am I missing, I just feel I'm staring at the issue without recognizing it.