Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

AWS Configuration File not using Configs section to set service parameters

Contributor

All,

I have successfully configured an AWS cluster with 8 nodes up and running.  I have posted questions on how to confgure services, which I understand can be done via the API but was seeking to do this via the configuration file that is shipped to CD to create the CM and the rest of the nodes.

However, when I set the values I do not see the any change in the values (using the CM UI).

Below is my example.. when I try to set the HBASE parameters I do the following...

roles {
        HDFS: [ JOURNALNODE, BALANCER]
        ZOOKEEPER: [SERVER]
        HBASE: [MASTER]
      }
#
# Configure services per ML team
#
        config {
                HBASE {
                REGIONSERVER {
                        hbase_regionsserver_msginterval: "25"
                        hbase_hstore_compactionThreshold: "15"
                        hbase_hstore_blockStoreFiles: "35"
                        hbase_hstore_blockingWaitTime: "10"
                        hbase_enable_replication: "true"
                        hbase_snapshot_enabled: "true"
                        hbase_enable_indexing: "true"
                        hbase_active_master_detection_window: "10"
                        hbase_server_dfs_client_hedged_read_threadpool_size: "10"
                        hbase_regionserver_regionmover_thread_count: "4"
                        }
                }

and I don't see a change in the values.

I patterned this after how Cloudera shows how to do the HA Config, but can't seem to get this to work..

ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

All,

We can set the parameters if we do the following and it was a tough lesson to learn..

There is a config session for Service wide parameters and then for specific areas, do not list or mix which parameters exist for which session as it will throw an error, but not an intelligent one. 

Additionally, I would recommend before setting parameters to run the script to dump the entire configuration into a file and then to review the specific parameters and the naming of them.  I was using the GUI and seeing items like HBASE.replication and thought that this could be used, which was not the case.  Instead, it was HBASE_enable_replication.   I also found what I believe was a naming issue in that the name of the parameter did not align with the value, it wasn't spelled correctly like "..ion" and was "..on".  The problem was I was spelling according to english vs reviewing the parameter name.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Contributor

I tried changing this to a Roletype of Master and it didn't work

I think I found the problem and am moving this to the Cluster definition.

I believe the error may be how I am setting the values and think they should be w/o the double quotes..

Contributor

Problem not resolved but now get the following error

[2016-10-04 07:19:05] INFO  [pipeline-thread-1] - c.c.launchpad.pipeline.AbstractJob: Applying custom configurations of services
[2016-10-04 07:19:05] ERROR [pipeline-thread-1] - c.c.l.pipeline.util.PipelineRunner: Attempt to execute job failed
com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.UnrecoverablePipelineError: ClouderaManagerException{message="API call to Cloudera Manager failed. Method=ServicesResource.updateServiceConfig",causeClass=class javax.ws.rs.BadRequestException, causeMessage="HTTP 400 Bad Request"}
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.bootstrap.cluster.AddServices.run(AddServices.java:321) ~[launchpad-bootstrap-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.bootstrap.cluster.AddServices.run(AddServices.java:100) ~[launchpad-bootstrap-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.job.Job5.runUnchecked(Job5.java:34) ~[launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.job.Job5$$FastClassBySpringCGLIB$$54178505.invoke(<generated>) ~[launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at org.springframework.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:204) ~[spring-core-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(CglibAopProxy.java:720) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.proceed(MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.java:97) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.PipelineJobProfiler$1.call(PipelineJobProfiler.java:67) ~[launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.codahale.metrics.Timer.time(Timer.java:101) ~[metrics-core-3.1.2.jar!/:3.1.2]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.PipelineJobProfiler.profileJobRun(PipelineJobProfiler.java:63) ~[launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor86.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[na:1.7.0_101]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) ~[na:1.7.0_101]
        at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:621) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:610) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:68) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:92) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(CglibAopProxy.java:655) ~[spring-aop-4.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:4.2.4.RELEASE]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.bootstrap.cluster.AddServices$$EnhancerBySpringCGLIB$$94a41497.runUnchecked(<generated>) ~[launchpad-bootstrap-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.util.PipelineRunner$JobCallable.call(PipelineRunner.java:159) [launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.util.PipelineRunner$JobCallable.call(PipelineRunner.java:130) [launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.github.rholder.retry.AttemptTimeLimiters$NoAttemptTimeLimit.call(AttemptTimeLimiters.java:78) [guava-retrying-1.0.6.jar!/:na]
        at com.github.rholder.retry.Retryer.call(Retryer.java:110) [guava-retrying-1.0.6.jar!/:na]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.util.PipelineRunner.attemptMultipleJobExecutionsWithRetries(PipelineRunner.java:99) [launchpad-pipeline-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.pipeline.DatabasePipelineRunner.run(DatabasePipelineRunner.java:125) [launchpad-pipeline-database-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.ExceptionHandlingRunnable.run(ExceptionHandlingRunnable.java:57) [launchpad-common-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471) [na:1.7.0_101]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262) [na:1.7.0_101]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145) [na:1.7.0_101]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615) [na:1.7.0_101]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.7.0_101]
Caused by: com.cloudera.api.ext.ClouderaManagerException: API call to Cloudera Manager failed. Method=ServicesResource.updateServiceConfig
        at com.cloudera.api.ext.ClouderaManagerClientProxy.invoke(ClouderaManagerClientProxy.java:97) ~[launchpad-cloudera-manager-api-ext-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy182.updateServiceConfig(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.bootstrap.cluster.AddServices.customConfigureServices(AddServices.java:504) ~[launchpad-bootstrap-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.bootstrap.cluster.AddServices.customConfigureServices(AddServices.java:466) ~[launchpad-bootstrap-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        at com.cloudera.launchpad.bootstrap.cluster.AddServices.run(AddServices.java:304) ~[launchpad-bootstrap-2.1.0.jar!/:2.1.0]
        ... 33 common frames omitted
[2016-10-04 07:19:05] ERROR [pipeline-thread-1] - c.c.l.p.DatabasePipelineRunner: Encountered an unrecoverable error

Contributor
fyi - there is a type in the regionserver, as it only requires a single s

Contributor

All,

We can set the parameters if we do the following and it was a tough lesson to learn..

There is a config session for Service wide parameters and then for specific areas, do not list or mix which parameters exist for which session as it will throw an error, but not an intelligent one. 

Additionally, I would recommend before setting parameters to run the script to dump the entire configuration into a file and then to review the specific parameters and the naming of them.  I was using the GUI and seeing items like HBASE.replication and thought that this could be used, which was not the case.  Instead, it was HBASE_enable_replication.   I also found what I believe was a naming issue in that the name of the parameter did not align with the value, it wasn't spelled correctly like "..ion" and was "..on".  The problem was I was spelling according to english vs reviewing the parameter name.