Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Access HDFS/MR from remote machine

Contributor

Hi, one of our developers needs to run pig scripts, access HDFS, run mapreduce on the CDH5 cluster from a remote machine.  I'm a little confused how to accomplish this.

Do I need to add the remote machine to the cluster using the "Add Host" feature?  I also read that I should make the remote machine a "Gateway", then download (deploy?) the client config files to that host.  Am I on the right track?  Thank you.  -Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

Hi Mike,

yes I believe you are on the right track. you would need to add the remote host to the cluster, and then make it part of the gateway role group for hdfs and the gateway role group for mapreduce for that cluster. 

You could create a new rolegroup if the remote host needs to have different configuration than the other gateway nodes in your cluster for whatever reason. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Master Collaborator

Hi Mike,

yes I believe you are on the right track. you would need to add the remote host to the cluster, and then make it part of the gateway role group for hdfs and the gateway role group for mapreduce for that cluster. 

You could create a new rolegroup if the remote host needs to have different configuration than the other gateway nodes in your cluster for whatever reason.