Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CDH 5.10

Contributor

Hi All....I have installed  Cloudera QuickStart CDH 5.10 on VMware Player. But the Cloudera Manager is not getting displayed. Han can I make it display.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Community Manager

Perhaps the wording is outdated on the instructions. Launching Cloudera Express would be the path you want to eventually take. A few notes from your system specifications first. 

Common issue #3 on the how to install the Cloudera Quickstart VM article is important here:

System requirements: Cloudera's 64-bit VMs require a 64-bit host OS and a virtualization product that can support a 64-bit guest. The amount of RAM required by the VM (separate from system RAM) varies by the run-time option you choose: 

If your system RAM is only 8GB some of that is required to run the system itself (operating system and other programs running) and cannot also be allocated to the VM. For instance my computer has 16GB or RAM and I was surprised to see that half of that is currently in use this morning with minimal programs running. I'll have to look into that but I digress. In my case I would have 8GB or RAM remaining to allocate to a Quickstart VM which would meet the minimum requirements. 

Aside from RAM, you also have to consider the processor. The VM requires two virtual cores allocated to the VM over and above what is available to your system. I do not believe the Intel i3 comes in a quad core so I will assume that it is dual core. It may work if hyperthreading is enabled but will not be as quick as a quad core with two cores allocated to the VM. There are also instructions for that in the How to Setup the Cloudera Quickstart VM article.

I hope this helps.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Community Manager

A few quick questions to understand your situation before providing a possible solution. Can you describe the specification on the system you installed the VM on as well as how much resources were allocated to the VM?

I would suggest checking out our community article on how to setup a Cloudera QuickStart VM which also includes some common issues which you may be running into. Specifically, the amount of resources required for the VM to run Cloudera Manager. 

Here is another tip from the QuickStart VM page which may also apply here depending on what exactly you are encountering:

Cloudera Manager is installed in the VM but is turned off by default. If you would like to use Cloudera Manager, open theLaunch Cloudera Manager icon on the desktop. It is strongly recommended that before you do so, you configure the VM with a minimum of 8 GiB of RAM and 2 virtual CPU cores (by default it will use 4 GiB of RAM and 1 virtual CPU core). Cloudera Manager and all of the CDH services might not launch properly with less RAM. After launching Cloudera Manager, all of the services in CDH are started, although it might take several minutes for Cloudera Manager to start all of the services. To conserve resources and improve performance, it is recommended that you stop services you do not plan to use. Changes made to configuration files before launching Cloudera Manager are not preserved.

You can start or reconfigure any installed services using the web interface that is automatically displayed when the VM starts.

Warning: If Cloudera Manager is running, do not use command-line utilities to start, stop, or configure CDH components.

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Contributor

Hello Jervis,

Thanks for your response.

Here is my system specification:- Intel Core i3 Processr, 8GB RAM

I have installed Cloudera Quickstart VM 5.8.0 on VMware Player 7.1.4 allowing 8GB RAM & processor is set to "2".

At my desktop I have "Launch Cloudera Express" is there, but "Launch Cloudera Manager" is not there.

KIndly advice.

Community Manager

Perhaps the wording is outdated on the instructions. Launching Cloudera Express would be the path you want to eventually take. A few notes from your system specifications first. 

Common issue #3 on the how to install the Cloudera Quickstart VM article is important here:

System requirements: Cloudera's 64-bit VMs require a 64-bit host OS and a virtualization product that can support a 64-bit guest. The amount of RAM required by the VM (separate from system RAM) varies by the run-time option you choose: 

If your system RAM is only 8GB some of that is required to run the system itself (operating system and other programs running) and cannot also be allocated to the VM. For instance my computer has 16GB or RAM and I was surprised to see that half of that is currently in use this morning with minimal programs running. I'll have to look into that but I digress. In my case I would have 8GB or RAM remaining to allocate to a Quickstart VM which would meet the minimum requirements. 

Aside from RAM, you also have to consider the processor. The VM requires two virtual cores allocated to the VM over and above what is available to your system. I do not believe the Intel i3 comes in a quad core so I will assume that it is dual core. It may work if hyperthreading is enabled but will not be as quick as a quad core with two cores allocated to the VM. There are also instructions for that in the How to Setup the Cloudera Quickstart VM article.

I hope this helps.

Contributor

Hello Jervis,

Thanks a lot for the assistance...:)