Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CDH5B1 to CDH5B2 parcel upgrade?

Explorer

I've reviewed the upgrade documentation for CDH5B2, but unfortunately it seems to only cover package installations.  I'm assuming that parcel upgrades are effectively not possible, since everything has to be offline to perform the upgrade?

(by the way, you need to fix your label requirements for posting to this forum ... I believe CDH5B2 uses CM 5.0B2)

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi James,

See the Cloudera Manager documentation when upgrading Cloudera Manager.

Note that upgrades from beta 1 to beta 2 are not really recommended, and Cloudera Manager doesn't offer much help in this area. You should try to install a fresh beta2, or contact support if you truly need to do this upgrade.

Thanks,
Darren

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi James,

See the Cloudera Manager documentation when upgrading Cloudera Manager.

Note that upgrades from beta 1 to beta 2 are not really recommended, and Cloudera Manager doesn't offer much help in this area. You should try to install a fresh beta2, or contact support if you truly need to do this upgrade.

Thanks,
Darren

Explorer

Thanks for the input ... I think I mis-read the title of this forum, as I thought it was for installations of CDH via CM, sorry!

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  I literally just finished building a POC cluster of CDH5B1 and loading 30TB of test data last Friday.  I didn't really want to rebuild the cluster for CDH5B2 if it wasn't required, to be honest.

Hi James,

You can try the instructions you linked before you change over to a beta 2 cluster, but there's no guarantee that things will all work happily. Whenever there's a command-line script you need to run, look in the relevant CM service and/or role to see if that command can be run by CM instead. Instead of installing the new CDH packages, download, distribute, and activate the new CDH parcel. Don't try to use the CM cluster upgrade wizard. There's no reason I can think of that they won't all work, but it's not recommended either.

CM will of course support upgrades between non-beta releases.

Thanks,

Darren

Cloudera Employee

Though Darren is certainly correct that CM does not natively support upgrades between 5b1 and 5b2, it can be done with some extra manual steps involved. Here's what you would do:

1. Stop CDH5b1 cluster in CM5b1.

2. Stop Cloudera Monitoring Services.

3. Upgrade CM to 5b2.

4. Start CM

5. Upgrade CDH to 5b2 (for packages - manually, for parcels - using CM UI). If upgrading using parcels, DO NOT start the cluster.

6. (Only if YARN is present in secure cluster) Goto “Settings” > “Administration”, Select ALL “yarn” principals and hit “Regenerate”. Wait for the “Generate Credentials” command to finish. This is needed because CDH5b2 added the HTTP principal for YARN.

7. Start ZooKeeper

8. Run HDFS Metadata Upgrade command from HDFS Actions Menu

9. Run Oozie Database Upgrade command from Oozie Actions Menu

10. Run Oozie Install Sharelib command from Oozie Actions Menu

11. Run Upgrade Sqoop command from Sqoop Actions Menu

12. Run Upgrade Hive Metastore Database Schema command from Hive Actions Menu

13. Start all services

14. Deploy Client Configuration for the cluster.

15. Start Cloudera Monitoring Services.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Aaron

Explorer

Thank you for the information; I'll give that a try.