Explorer

Cloudera Manager for Developers/non Administators

Hi all,

I have a group of developers who want access to Cloudera Manager. Typically allowing developer access to mangement tools is frowned on for security reasons. What I think they really would like to see is performance information like that which is offerered under the Activities ==>MapReduce Jobs in CM.

Is there any way to get these folks to that location without exposing all of CM to them?

Thanks

Topics: 51
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 49

Re: Cloudera Manager for Developers/non Administators

@rowlandg: you can create non-administrative accounts in CM through these instructions.

HTH

Expert Contributor

If your developers are just interested in the map/reduce activities, it is possibly sufficient to use the jobtracker ui:

http://<jobtracker>:50030

Explorer

I'm aware about creating users who have view only accounts and the fact they can use Job Tracker's UI. I think what I need is something more than the Activity area of CM. To that end I'm looking at solutions like Ganglia and keeping them out of CM, which is, after all, supposed to be for managing the cluster not monitoring performance so much.

Thanks

Expert Contributor

ahhh, o.k., makes sense.

Ganglia is working very well for this purpose with minimal configuration "overhead", just set the gangliaContext properties in /etc/hadoop/conf/hadoop-metrics.properties accordingly (already running ganglia-monitor/-metad/-web assumed ;) ).

Kudos: 435
Solutions: 305

There isn't a more fine-grained user access control in CM yet, but its been a popular request and will arrive over the next few major releases, which should let you do this.

For now, unfortunately, the added users would be able to have a read-only view on everything in the CM instance.