Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Data node failing after enabling kerberos

Explorer

After enabling kerberos datanode started failing to connect the namenode

Error in datanode log:

WARN org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:hdfs/hdp-3.com@CDH.HDP (auth:KERBEROS) cause:java.io.IOException: Couldn't setup connection for hdfs/hdp-3.com@CDH.HDP to hdp-1.com/192.1.1.1:8022

WARN org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode: Problem connecting to server: hdp-1.com/192.1.1.1:8022

WARN org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:hdfs/hdp-3..com@CDH.HDP (auth:KERBEROS) cause:javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Ticket expired (32) - PROCESS_TGS)]

WARN org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode: Block pool ID needed, but service not yet registered with NN, trace:

java.lang.Exception

krb.conf

cat /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]

default_realm = CDH.HDP

dns_lookup_kdc = false

dns_lookup_realm = false

ticket_lifetime = 86400

renew_lifetime = 604800

forwardable = true

default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-crc aes des-cbc-md5 arcfour-hmac rc4

default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-crc aes des-cbc-md5 arcfour-hmac rc4

permitted_enctypes = des-cbc-crc aes des-cbc-md5 arcfour-hmac rc4

udp_preference_limit = 1

kdc_timeout = 10000

[realms]

CDH.HDP = {

kdc = hdp-2.com

admin_server = hdp-2.com

default_domain = cdh.hdp

}

[domain_realm]

cdh.hdp = CDH.HDP

kdc.conf

[kdcdefaults]

kdc_ports = 88

kdc_tcp_ports = 88

[realms]

CDH.HDP = {

#master_key_type = aes256-cts

acl_file = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl

dict_file = /usr/share/dict/words

admin_keytab = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab

supported_enctypes = aes128-cts:normal des3-hmac-sha1:normal arcfour-hmac:normal camellia256-cts:normal camellia128-cts:normal des-hmac-sha1:normal des-cbc-md5:normal des-cbc-crc:normal

}

Please help to resolve this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer
Thanks @bgooley

I solved this by upgrading os and kerberos version. It works fine for me
now.

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Guru

@sid2707,

Since they behavior you describe matches a known issue with a particular version of Kerberos, I think that is a good place to look first:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1560951

check your krb5 packages and make sure that you do not have:

1.15.1-18.el7

If you do, that is known to caue problems for Java Kerberos.

Upgrading mit kerberos packages to 1.15.1-19 has been known to solve the trick

Master Collaborator

@bgooley Do you know if this issue exist with:

krb5-workstation-1.10.3-65.el6.x86_64
krb5-auth-dialog-0.13-6.el6.x86_64
krb5-libs-1.10.3-65.el6.x86_64

I expercienced the same issue with these packages but with the following error:

2017-10-23 06:56:03,908 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode: Exception in secureMain
java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot start secure DataNode without configuring either privileged resources or SASL RPC data transfer protection and SSL for HTTP.  Using privileged resources in combination with SASL RPC data transfer protection is not supported.
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.checkSecureConfig(DataNode.java:1371)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.startDataNode(DataNode.java:1271)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.<init>(DataNode.java:464)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.makeInstance(DataNode.java:2583)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.instantiateDataNode(DataNode.java:2470)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.createDataNode(DataNode.java:2517)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.secureMain(DataNode.java:2699)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.main(DataNode.java:2723)
2017-10-23 06:56:03,919 INFO org.apache.hadoop.util.ExitUtil: Exiting with status 1
2017-10-23 06:56:03,921 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:

I can authinicate against the AD and can confirm that the ports used for the HDFS are below 1023

Explorer
Even for me kinit is working and zookeeper and namenode start but datanode fails to connect namenode and then complete cluster comes down

Master Guru

@sid2707,

What ports did you change.  I thin you need both of these to be less than 1024 if you don't have HTTPS configured:

DataNode Transceiver Port

DataNode HTTP Web UI Port

Master Guru

@Fawze and @sid2707,

Sorry... we need to separate this conversation I think since the issues differ.  I was responding to what @Fawze was saying regarding the DataNode not starting with the SASL message.

@sid2707,

I mentioned a possible cause relating to your krb5 libraries.  Please run the following on one of the hosts where datanodes are not functioning:

# rpm -qa |grep krb5

Explorer
Thanks @bgooley

I solved this by upgrading os and kerberos version. It works fine for me
now.

Thanks for your help