New Contributor

HIVE Configuration disappear from cloudera manager which cause validataion warning

I entered

<property>
  <name>hive.server2.authentication</name>
  <value>NOSASL</value>
</property>

into [Clusters- hive - Configuration - HiveServer2 Default Group - Advanced - hive_hs2_config_safety_valve] value

I think it isn't wrong xml but it caused validation warning

so I was removing the value. but the property disappeared from my cloudera manager

Where can i find it?

Cloudera Employee

Re: HIVE Configuration disappear from cloudera manager which cause validataion warning

Hi Luien,

What was the validation warning?

Make sure that you have no strange whitespace or line ending characters in your XML. What you pasted here looks correctly formatted.

The configuration should not have disappeared. Make sure that you are looking at the right place for your configuration. This can be configured at the group level or at the role level. The group level is found by clicking on the configuration tab while viewing the Hive service, whereas the role level is found by first navigating to a role (such as HiveServer2) and then clicking on configuration.

From the group-level, the UI will also give you an indication if any roles are overriding the group's value, and has a handy way to manage these overrides.

Usually you should configure things at the group level.

Thanks,
Darren
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: HIVE Configuration disappear from cloudera manager which cause validataion warning

[ Edited ]

2014-07-24 10;16;22.PNG

http://i.imgur.com/vBRKGYy.png

The validation warning arised from [HiveServer2 Advanced Configuration Sniffet(Safety Valve) for hive-site.xml] which is shown at right screenshot(another service's configuration tab)

But On left screenshot(problemtic service's configuration tab) I can't find [HiveServer2 Advanced Configuration Sniffet(Safety Valve) for hive-site.xml] which was shown before I entered wrong XML.

Thanks for your reply.

Cloudera Employee

Unfortunately, your screenshots don't seem to have uploaded correctly. Can you try uploading them again, or uploading elsewhere and linking to them?
New Contributor

I reupload and link together,

thanks.

Cloudera Employee

I can't reproduce your issue on the latest version of CM. What version of CM are you using?

What happens if you look at your hive configuration via the API? Try looking at the following URL and finding the configuration set in the HS2 safety valve:
http://<cm_host>:7180/api/v4/cm/deployment?view=export_redacted

Here's the relevant snippet from mine:

{
  "name": "hive-HIVESERVER2-BASE",
  "displayName": "HiveServer2 Default Group",
  "roleType": "HIVESERVER2",
  "base": true,
  "serviceRef": {
    "clusterName": "cluster",
    "serviceName": "hive"
  },
  "config": {
  "items": [
    {
      "name": "hive_hs2_config_safety_valve",
      "value": "<property>\r\n  <name>hive.server2.authentication</name>\r\n  <value>NOSASL</value>\r\n</property>"
    },
    {
      "name": "hiveserver2_java_heapsize",
      "value": "63963136"
    }
  ]
  }
},

Note the \r characters, which can generall cause problems and should be avoided, but on the latest CM is handled just fine.

You should be able to see the configured value this way even if there was some validation error, and you should be able to use the API to reset the value as well.

Upgrading to the latest CM (if you aren't already on 5.1) may also help.

API documentation is here:

http://cloudera.github.io/cm_api/

Thanks,

Darren

New Contributor

Fix it using API 

Thanks for your help Darren :)

Cloudera Employee

Glad you got it working!

What version of Cloudera Manager are you using? Just want to make sure it isn't the latest version, since I belive this was fixed.

Thanks,

Darren