Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HUE external database

Rising Star

Hi,

With CDH 5.4 i am trying to use an external postgres database. The selection option in the CDH manager for the HUE service only list options for mysql and sqllite. 

Hue does support postgres and i got it to work by adding the config into the safety valve. Is there a reason why this cannot be done with the selection options.

maybe something to add in a next version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There are licensing issues with the postgresql library that Hue uses, so we have not been able to incorporate a seamless integration into Cloudera Manager.

We'd like to improve this experience in a future release, but I can't promise anything.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

There are licensing issues with the postgresql library that Hue uses, so we have not been able to incorporate a seamless integration into Cloudera Manager.

We'd like to improve this experience in a future release, but I can't promise anything.

Rising Star

ok, i would be nice to have.

but the saftety valve workaround also works fine.

thx.

Contributor

Hello Darren,

could you explain better what are the problems about postgresql license ?

I am also in the PostgreSQL community, so if it's possible I will help with.

Kind Regards

Hi,

Thanks for the offer to help! Hue uses the psycopg2 to talk to postgresql, which we have since found a way to make easy to install without violating the license.

We'll likely have more seamless integration in an upcoming release.

Thanks,
Darren

New Contributor

I'm also trying to connect HUE to an external database, Oracle.  But I'm getting the error: "Oracle client libraries cannot be found on host".  This doesn''t make sense because I've sucessfully connected to the database from that installation node using the scm_prepare_database.sh script.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vince 

Contributor

Hi Team,

I am also getting same error.I am able t oconnect remote db with scm,rman,hive,oozie and where as for hue it is throwing error :Oracle client libraries cannot be found on host 

Any specific steps are required for hue:

[root@xxxxx java]# pwd
/usr/share/java
[root@xxxx java]# ll
total 3320
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm 3397734 Oct 5 09:53 oracle-connector-java.jar

Thanks,

Sridhar

Rising Star

@sridharm

Hue is not written in Java, thus the Oracle connector jar will not work.  You want the Oracle Instant Client for Hue Parcel.