Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Replication: regular expressions on table names?

Explorer

I am trying to get Hive replication working and am not yet fully sure I understand the options. 

I can see that if you specify an individual database then you can leave the table specification blank - or specify a regular expression for the tables. I found that "*" was not an acceptable regular expression, so I wonder what rules they are using for that. 

However I really need wild cards to specify databases as well as tables. Is this possible? 

For instance imagine that I have 100 databases called

area1_something_db

and another 100 each called

area2_something_db

area3_something_db

area4_something_db

area5_something_db

My choices right now are to replicate all of them all at once, or replicate them one database at a time. This is a nightmare due to the large number of databases. Ideally I want a replication job which does one specific area which I can schedule according to some business decision. 

Am I right in thinking that I cannot have multiple Hive replications going on at the same time even if they are totally different databases?

1 REPLY 1

Master Guru

@alexmc6

"*" is not a valid regex.  ".*" may be what you were going for...

I am not quite clear on your business requirement, but I think you are saying that you want to maybe create 10 replication schedules that will replicate chunks of 10 of your area databases... akin to this:

area([0-9]|1[0])_.*db