Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Impala JDBC with username & password Does not work[Non-Kerberos & Non LDAP]

Explorer

Hi,

I need to implement the  JDBC connection for Impala with username and password[I guess here username=host user on which Impala daemon is running and Password=corresponding user password] for our client cluster. As per my understanding we do not need to make any specific change in Impala server configs or on server for the same.

What I tried:

1. Cluster is without Kerberos.

2, Tried two types of drivers.

a] Driver Type 1]

JDBC:hive2 - When I uses connection string;

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hive2://server:21050/default;","hostuser","password").

It does not work at all and ends in connection timeout.   

When I uses connection string;

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hive2://server:21050/default;auth=noSasl;")

It works and gets connected to impala.

b] Driver Type 2]

JDBC:impala -

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/default;AuthMech=3;UID=hostuser;PWD=password")

It does not work at all and ends in connection timeout.

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/default;AuthMech=0;")

It works and gets connected to impala.

Questions:

1. For Implementing the Impala JDBC username & password based connection, is it mandatory to have either Kerberos or LDAP or Sentry Implented?

2. If not, then using JDBC with Impala local user credentials does need any additional parameters or change at the server level or change in Impala local user permission? 

3. Can you please provide any example to implement it, like any server level or client level changes if my implementation is wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Amit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Champion

1. For Implementing the Impala JDBC username & password based connection, is it mandatory to have either Kerberos or LDAP or Sentry Implented?

You need to have LDAP auth enabled for Impala.

2. If not, then using JDBC with Impala local user credentials does need any additional parameters or change at the server level or change in Impala local user permission? 

No changes to Impala or the local user beyond installing and configuring the JDBC driver and connection.

3. Can you please provide any example to implement it, like any server level or client level changes if my implementation is wrong.

Driver type1

Impala with LDAP

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hive2://server:21050/default;auth=noSasl;","hostuser","password")

Impala without any auth

Note: noSasl is required when SSL is not configured

Driver type2

Impala with LDAP

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/default;AuthMech=3;UID=hostuser;PWD=password")

Impala with Kerberos

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/default;AuthMech=1;)

Impala with Kerberos and SSL

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/;AuthMech=1;KrbRealm=REALM.COM;KrbHostFQDN=Server.REALM.COM;KrbServiceName=impala;SSL=1;SSLTrustStore=C:\Users\mbigelow\.ssl\bdp3-prd-ts.jks;SSLTrustSTorePwd=*****;

Impala without any auth

I think AuthMech could be left off here as it should be the default.

Cloudera has plenty of documents covering enabling Kerberos and LDAP, although both should be considered well before delving into them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Champion

You need to have LDAP auth enabled for Impala.

No changes to Impala or the local user beyond installing and configuring the JDBC driver and connection.

Driver type1

Impala with LDAP

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hive2://server:21050/default;auth=noSasl;","hostuser","password")

Impala without any auth

Note: noSasl is required when SSL is not configured

Driver type2

Impala with LDAP

Impala with Kerberos

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/default;AuthMech=1;)

Impala with Kerberos and SSL

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:impala://Server:21050/;AuthMech=1;KrbRealm=REALM.COM;KrbHostFQDN=Server.REALM.COM;KrbServiceName=impala;SSL=1;SSLTrustStore=C:\Users\mbigelow\.ssl\bdp3-prd-ts.jks;SSLTrustSTorePwd=*****;

Impala without any auth

I think AuthMech could be left off here as it should be the default.

Cloudera has plenty of documents covering enabling Kerberos and LDAP, although both should be considered well before delving into them.

Explorer
Thanks a lot mbigelow. Ldap auth worked for me.
I was using openLdap ldap_baseDN like cn=test,ou=xyz,dc=impalabigdata,dc=net, when I changed it as ou=xyz,dc=impalabigdata,dc=net
and used the JDBC connection as
jdbc:hive2://server:21050/default;","test","ldappwd", it worked for me.

Thanks a lot for providing a complete details, as currently these things didn't get clarified in existing documentation.

Thanks,
Amit