Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Implications of changing the password of the 'cloudera' user on a CDH cluster

Explorer

Hi,

We have set up a CDH 4.7 cluster. As a part of the process, we have created the 'cloudera' user on Linux and used Cloudera Express to set up the cluster. I am now thinking of changing the password for 'cloudera'. Are there any implications of changing the password? e.g. I realise that my ssh connectivity between the nodes uses 'cloudera' user so will have to be changed to use the new password.

However, will any of the services like MR or HDFS or Hive or Hbase stop running? Any other potential implications?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Yogesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer
5 REPLIES 5

Master Collaborator

If you are referring to the SSH login credentials that typed in during the installation (see screenshot), then there's no implications, the credentials are used only once to install the cloudera-manager-{agents,daemons} on the host.

clouderamanager-ui-4a.png

Explorer

Thanks Michalis. I realise that once the ssh password is changed on the SSH screen (as shown in your response), it will be picked up seamlessly.

However, if I change the 'cloudera' user's password via the Linux command line, will it impact any of the Hadoop services e.g. after the password change, will services like HDFS/MR/Hbase/Hive/Zookeeper stop working because they were originally configured to run using a different password?

Master Collaborator

The services you're referring have their own user/service credentials with /sbin/nologin shell (check /etc/passwd) i.e. for HDFS is hdfs user, which also used to start the hdfs service daemon. Overall there won't be any impact, unless you specifically associated 'System User' [1] with 'cloudera' user to be used with the service daemon you've mentioned.

[1] search for "System User" 

http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_props_cdh570_hdfs.html#concept_axh...

Explorer

Thanks Michalis.

New Contributor

hi michalis, sometimes during the installation of CDH5 (take 5.11.0 as an example), there is no "ssh login credentials" page. but the installation can be finished smoothly, and the managed services can starts and runs successfully. why these happened ?