Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Install Cloudera Manager in a running CHD cluster

Contributor

Hello! I've a cluster up and running.

The cluster is running an old CDH version (5.7.0) with 2 NNs and 43 DNs.

Is it possible to install Cloudera Manager?

Thanks!

Guido.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Champion
I have been told that in theory you could install CM and get it to manage an existing CDH cluster. I don't the specifics though. It probably includes manually updating the CM db so CM is aware what services are on what host. I imagine it will be painful.

If possible, install CM, set up a new CDH cluster and the migrate. If not, backup any HDFS data and metadata, configs, etc. Anything in an external DB like the Hive metadata should be fine and you can put in the DB configs to reconnect to it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rising Star

While it is "possible" , the point of Cloudera Manager is to be that central point for your configurations and manage the cluster. The best option would be to setup another cluster and import your data/config into the Cloudera Manager "managed" cluster. 

This has been answered in a previous thread, for review here is the link:

http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/How-to-install-CM-over-an-existing-CD...

Champion
@Borg that link is not working for me.

Rising Star

@mbigelowTry to search for "How to install CM over an existing CDH Cluster"

Champion
I have been told that in theory you could install CM and get it to manage an existing CDH cluster. I don't the specifics though. It probably includes manually updating the CM db so CM is aware what services are on what host. I imagine it will be painful.

If possible, install CM, set up a new CDH cluster and the migrate. If not, backup any HDFS data and metadata, configs, etc. Anything in an external DB like the Hive metadata should be fine and you can put in the DB configs to reconnect to it.