Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kerberos Authentication Wizard failing to generate workable credentials

Explorer

I installed the latest Cloudera Manager Server and Agent packages (5.3.2) started everything up fine, created  my cluster, installed parcels for HDFS, HBase, Hive, Hue, Impala, Oozie, Yarn, and Zookeeper. I fixed all configuration and health issues. Everything was working exactly as expected. I then began following instructions I found here: http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cm_sg_intro_kerb.html to get my cluster secured with Kerberos. Have my KDC fully configured and running. The wizard was working great until just after it prompted me for the admin principal (cloudera-scm/admin) and its password. After I entered those, it indicated that it had successfully authenticated that principal, and began to configure my services to be used with kerberos. At some point though (I believe as it was trying to turn the Cloudera Management Service back on) it failed, and emitted this: 

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Login failure for hue/my.namenode.com@MY.REALM.COM from keytab hue.keytab
        at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
        at com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.CdhExecutorFactory.createExecutor(CdhExecutorFactory.java:274)
        at com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.CdhExecutorFactory.createExecutor(CdhExecutorFactory.java:309)
        at com.cloudera.enterprise.AbstractCDHVersionAwarePeriodicService.<init>(AbstractCDHVersionAwarePeriodicService.java:73)
        at com.cloudera.cmon.firehose.AbstractHBasePoller.<init>(AbstractHBasePoller.java:95)
        at com.cloudera.cmon.firehose.HBaseFsckPoller.<init>(HBaseFsckPoller.java:53)
        at com.cloudera.cmon.firehose.Firehose.createSecurityAwarePollers(Firehose.java:446)
        at com.cloudera.cmon.firehose.Firehose.setupServiceMonitoringPollers(Firehose.java:436)
        at com.cloudera.cmon.firehose.Firehose.<init>(Firehose.java:311)
        at com.cloudera.cmon.firehose.Main.main(Main.java:527)
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Login failure for hue/my.namenode.com@MY.REALM.COM from keytab hue.keytab
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:188)
        at com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.CdhExecutorFactory.createExecutor(CdhExecutorFactory.java:268)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Login failure for hue/my.namenode.com@MY.REALM.COM from keytab hue.keytab
        at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
        at com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.CdhExecutorFactory$SecureClassLoaderSetupTask.run(CdhExecutorFactory.java:491)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Login failure for hue/my.namenode.com@MY.REALM.COM from keytab hue.keytab
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.loginUserFromKeytab(UserGroupInformation.java:855)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.SecurityUtil.login(SecurityUtil.java:279)
        at com.cloudera.cmf.cdh4client.CDH4ObjectFactoryImpl.login(CDH4ObjectFactoryImpl.java:194)
        at com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.CdhExecutorFactory$SecureClassLoaderSetupTask.run(CdhExecutorFactory.java:485)
        ... 5 more
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Connection refused
        at com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule.attemptAuthentication(Krb5LoginModule.java:767)
        at com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule.login(Krb5LoginModule.java:584)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invoke(LoginContext.java:784)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.access$000(LoginContext.java:203)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext$5.run(LoginContext.java:721)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext$5.run(LoginContext.java:719)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invokeCreatorPriv(LoginContext.java:718)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.login(LoginContext.java:590)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.loginUserFromKeytab(UserGroupInformation.java:846)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
        at sun.security.krb5.internal.TCPClient.<init>(NetClient.java:65)
        at sun.security.krb5.internal.NetClient.getInstance(NetClient.java:43)
        at sun.security.krb5.KdcComm$KdcCommunication.run(KdcComm.java:372)
        at sun.security.krb5.KdcComm$KdcCommunication.run(KdcComm.java:343)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.security.krb5.KdcComm.send(KdcComm.java:327)
        at sun.security.krb5.KdcComm.send(KdcComm.java:219)
        at sun.security.krb5.KdcComm.send(KdcComm.java:191)
        at sun.security.krb5.KrbAsReqBuilder.send(KrbAsReqBuilder.java:319)
        at sun.security.krb5.KrbAsReqBuilder.action(KrbAsReqBuilder.java:364)
        at com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule.attemptAuthentication(Krb5LoginModule.java:735)
        ... 21 more

The wizard offered no recourse, or suggestions for how to continue. Going back to the CM "home," I can get the same error every time I try to restart the Cloudera Management Service. I get a different error if I try to restart my cluster first instead, but it also seems to indicate that kerberos is not working:

2015-03-19 21:25:43,255 ERROR org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain: Unexpected exception, exiting abnormally
java.io.IOException: Could not configure server because SASL configuration did not allow the  ZooKeeper server to authenticate itself properly: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Connection refused
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.ServerCnxnFactory.configureSaslLogin(ServerCnxnFactory.java:207)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxnFactory.configure(NIOServerCnxnFactory.java:87)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.runFromConfig(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:116)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.initializeAndRun(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:91)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.main(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:53)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMain.initializeAndRun(QuorumPeerMain.java:121)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMain.main(QuorumPeerMain.java:79)

However, the "security inspector" tool executes successfully, and all the principals listed under the Kerberos->credentials page match the principals I can see on my KDC's kadmin shell. 

Any idea what's gone wrong, or how I can troubleshoot it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Update: I found the solution on another user's post here: https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/aftper-config-kerberos-on-CDH5-Servi...

Looks like cloudera manager only uses TCP, even though it is not recommended to use TCP on your KDC, as there is little protection against denail-of-service attacks (http://linux.die.net/man/5/kdc.conf). Why is this not noted in the documentation as a requirement for the KDC?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Master Collaborator
The most likely suspects:

Malformed KRB5.conf (did you have CM create and deploy the KRB5.conf or are
you managing it manually).

AES strong encryption in use and your JDK's dont have the JCE unlimited
strength policy files.

Forward/Reverse lookup is not resolving to the same FQDN on hosts.

Explorer

I had CM create and deploy the KRB5.conf files originally. I've tried modifying them manually a few times since, since I can no longer use CM to push changes to them while the services refuse to start. The content of the file is:

[libdefaults]
default_realm = MY.REALM.COM
dns_lookup_kdc = true
dns_lookup_realm = false
ticket_lifetime = 36000
renew_lifetime = 604800
forwardable = true
default_tgs_enctypes = aes256-cts:normal
default_tkt_enctypes = aes256-cts:normal
permitted_enctypes = aes256-cts:normal
udp_preference_limit = 1

[realms]
    MY.REALM.COM = {
        kdc = MY.KDC.HOST.COM
        admin_server = MY.KDC.HOST.COM
        default_domain =  MY.KDC.HOST.COM
    }

[domain_realm]
    .my.realm.com = MY.REALM.COM
    my.realm.com = MY.REALM.COM

[logging]
    kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log
    admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmin.log
    default = FILE:/var/log/krb5lib.log

includedir /etc/krb5.conf.d/

I do have AES strong encryption in use, but both the security jars are present:

# ls -lah /usr/java/latest/jre/lib/security/*.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2.5K May 31  2011 /usr/java/latest/jre/lib/security/local_policy.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2.5K May 31  2011 /usr/java/latest/jre/lib/security/US_export_policy.jar

Lookups also seem to be returning as expected. Where should I go from here?

Explorer

Update: I found the solution on another user's post here: https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/aftper-config-kerberos-on-CDH5-Servi...

Looks like cloudera manager only uses TCP, even though it is not recommended to use TCP on your KDC, as there is little protection against denail-of-service attacks (http://linux.die.net/man/5/kdc.conf). Why is this not noted in the documentation as a requirement for the KDC?

Master Collaborator

Because we expect the KDC in a hadoop environment to be protected from this by network design.... the reason we hard set TCP rather than UDP is that in complex network environments, we can drive failures within the cluster.  IMHO this is valid for internet/hostile network environments, which we strongly reccomend against being used for a cluster environments.

Cloudera Employee

Also DoS issue with TCP seems to have been resolved as of krb5 1.10 - https://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=1316

Master Collaborator

We can evaluate expanding the example and definition of what we do by default as well, thanks for pointing this out, we'll continue to review.

Explorer

Try Setting up "udp" for the Kerberos Clients.

/etc/krb5.conf
[libdefaults]
 udp_preference_limit = 1