Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Level 1 TLS encryption for CM - Cannot make it work

Explorer

Hello

I have a working CDH 5.9 test cluster. I want to configure level 1 TLS encryption for Cloudera manager using self signed certificate.
I used the official guide, then reverted to a pre-change snapshot and tried again using this guide: https://united.softserveinc.com/blogs/tls-encryption-cloudera-manager, but got the same result.

Cloudera manager UI redirects me to sttps on port 7183 as expected. I can also see that the servers are sending heartbeats.
The problem is that Cloudera management service components don't seem to connect. They seem down to Cloudera manager and if I try to start them I get error.

The culprit seems to be activity monitor.

When I try to start activity monitor I get this error:

Failed to publish event: SimpleEvent{attributes={STACKTRACE=[javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found
at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1884)
at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:276)
at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:270)
at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1341)
at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:153)
at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:868)
at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:804)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1016)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1312)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1339)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1323)
at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:563)
at

But I did import the cetrificate into the truststore, gave proper permisions and pointed the configuration to the truststore file, so I can't figure out what's wrong.

If I look at agents log I can also see a "connection refused" errors:

[19/Dec/2016 10:35:34 +0000] 5656 MonitorDaemon-Reporter firehoses INFO Creating a connection to the HOSTMONITOR.
[19/Dec/2016 10:35:34 +0000] 5656 MonitorDaemon-Reporter throttling_logger ERROR Error sending messages to firehose: mgmt-HOSTMONITOR-fbe9bdb7c0b8d1671e18298752512c5a
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cmf-5.9.0-py2.6.egg/cmf/monitor/firehose.py", line 116, in _send
self._port)
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.6/site-packages/avro-1.6.3-py2.6.egg/avro/ipc.py", line 469, in __init__
self.conn.connect()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/httplib.py", line 742, in connect
self.timeout)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/socket.py", line 567, in create_connection
raise error, msg
error: [Errno 111] Connection refused

Although from the CM UI I can see that last heartbeat from the servers took place 6-10secs ago.

If I try to perform an openssl connection check I ger: Verify return code: 18 (self signed certificate).

I followed the instructions thoroughly several times but it just doesnt work.

What am I doing wrong ? Are self signed certificates really supported ?

Thank you

Guy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Hello

I noticed that in the creation of the first keystore I did not change the CN to the appropriate value, so I had inconsistency between the keystore on the first host and on the other nodes.

I tried the whole process again with the appropriate CN (I had snapshots from before the change) and this time it worked !

Just to be sure it's not an accident I will do the whole thing again.

Thank you very much for your help

Guy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Expert Contributor

Did you import the root certificate into the default system truststore?

Explorer

I belive I did. This is the part when you run:

keytool -import -alias cms -file /tmp/selfsigned.cer -keystore$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/jssecacerts -storepass changeit

Isn't it ?

I did that on all the nodes in the cluster, and it said that the certificate was succesfuly added to the keystore.

Expert Contributor

The first thing that caught my eyes is "-alias" flag. I would rather use the actual hostname for that.

Also, could you run this command as a root:

find /* -iname "cacerts"

and paste the output here?

Explorer

Hello

I changed the alias to be the server name where scm server is running and I still have the same problem. Clousera management service does not start (or not communicating) and the log shows "certificate_unknown" messages.

Here is the result of the find command on the scm server node:

/etc/pki/java/cacerts
/etc/pki/ca-trust/extracted/java/cacerts
/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.9.0-1.cdh5.9.0.p0.23/lib/hue/build/env/lib/python2.6/site-packages/boto-2.42.0-py2.6.egg/boto/cacerts
/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.6.0-1.cdh5.6.0.p0.45/lib/hue/build/env/lib/python2.6/site-packages/boto-2.38.0-py2.6.egg/boto/cacerts
/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_111/jre/lib/security/cacerts
/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67-cloudera/jre/lib/security/cacerts
/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_31/jre/lib/security/cacerts

I was using the one under java 1.7.0_67

Thanks

Guy

Expert Contributor

Please update this one as well:

/etc/pki/java/cacerts

restart cloudera manager service:

service cloudera-scm-server

And paste the whole log here.

Also, you can verify the certificate itself with:

openssl verify certnew.cer

Explorer

Hello

I noticed that in the creation of the first keystore I did not change the CN to the appropriate value, so I had inconsistency between the keystore on the first host and on the other nodes.

I tried the whole process again with the appropriate CN (I had snapshots from before the change) and this time it worked !

Just to be sure it's not an accident I will do the whole thing again.

Thank you very much for your help

Guy