Highlighted
New Contributor

Quickstart VM CDH 5.12 - Upgrade JDK 1.8

Hi All

I all for upgrading the java version from 1.7 to 1.8 i have followed the below link.

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-12-x/topics/cdh_cm_upgrading_to_jdk8.html except the steps 4,5,6 and 7. I had updated the custom location and /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server and restarted the Quickstart VM but the java version was not modified untill i modified the .bash_profile with the new JAVA_HOME path and updated the PATH env variable.

Please highlight the steps missing which forced me for a workaround of changing the .bash_profile

Regards

Vinay Jain

Explorer

Re: Quickstart VM CDH 5.12 - Upgrade JDK 1.8

[ Edited ]

I actually installed via Centos alternatives new Oracle JDK. Then I changed the cloudera-scm script under /etc by adding new JAVA_HOME, same I added into cloudera .bash_history, i added it actually on system wide level in /etc/profile

Now cluster is running new JDK, but Cloudera Management Service is still running JDK 7

Expert Contributor

@ArchenROOT

did you added export JAVA_HOME at /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server at the cloudera manager server?

Explorer

Yeah, but I had to add it into Java Path via Cloudera Manager UI under Hosts, Configuration -> Advanced... there is java path parameter, then Cloudera Management service started using JDK 8.

Cloudera Employee

To make  Cloudera Manager use a specific JDK, set "export JAVA_HOME=..." in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server. See Step 5. in the docs.

To make CMS and CDH services use the same JDK, need to set the Java Home Directory configuration property in the Host configuration in CM, see Configuring a Custom Java Home Location

Alternatively, stop the whole cluster. Uninstall the JDK 7 and install JDK 8 into /usr/java path. The new JDK will be automatically detected during startup, but as long JDK 7 is installed this version gets preference.

Announcements