Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Spark 2.1 didn't work in CDH 5.12

Contributor

I have installed and activated spark 2.1 from CDH 5.12 parcel. But its not working or configured properly. Executing command 'spark2-shell' gives below exception:

$ spark2-shell
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/fs/FSDataInputStream
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments$$anonfun$mergeDefaultSparkProperties$1.apply(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:118)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments$$anonfun$mergeDefaultSparkProperties$1.apply(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:118)
at scala.Option.getOrElse(Option.scala:121)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments.mergeDefaultSparkProperties(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:118)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments.<init>(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:104)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.main(SparkSubmit.scala:119)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit.main(SparkSubmit.scala)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataInputStream
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)

It seems looking for some Hadoop class file, but its not available. I have hadoop version:

$ hadoop version
Hadoop 2.6.0-cdh5.12.0
Subversion http://github.com/cloudera/hadoop -r dba647c5a8bc5e09b572d76a8d29481c78d1a0dd
Compiled by jenkins on 2017-06-29T11:31Z
Compiled with protoc 2.5.0
From source with checksum 7c45ae7a4592ce5af86bc4598c5b4
This command was run using /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.12.0-1.cdh5.12.0.p0.29/jars/hadoop-common-2.6.0-cdh5.12.0.jar

Do I need to configure anything explicitly ?

Also, there are no files in ' /etc/spark2/conf' , which looks to me that spark2 is not configured properly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Champion
Ok, this means that the CSD file isn't in place and/or Cloudera Manager server was not restarted after it was put in place. Please check both. After the CM server restart the service should be available to add to an existing or new cluster.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Champion
The other time I have seen this the issue was that Spark2 had not been added as a service to the cluster and therefor the Spark2 gateway was not in place. This would include environmental and configuration settings for clients like spark2-shell.

At a cluster screen click the Action menu and select 'Add a Service'. Follow the wizard and add Spark2 from the list of services available.

Contributor

@mbigelow  I have tried to add but there is no option in clouder-manager UI to add anything called 'Spark2' . It has 'Spark' and 'Spark(Standalone)' only. PFA screenshot. 

CDH5.12-Spark2.png

Champion
Ok, this means that the CSD file isn't in place and/or Cloudera Manager server was not restarted after it was put in place. Please check both. After the CM server restart the service should be available to add to an existing or new cluster.

Contributor
@mbigelow Thank you, that solved the issue.

The /opt/cloudera/csd dir was empty, I downloaded CSD and configured it and then re-added service. The above exception is resolved.