Explorer

What happens to a cluster after Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition Trial

What is the status of the cluster after the trial ends?  It becomes an Express Version.  I have several questions:

1. Does the cluster services have be restarted to continue using it?

2. Is the parcel capability still available after it comes an expression version?

Is the transformation to the expression version sort of seamless?  I appreciate any experiences that can be shared,

Thanks,

Anant

Cloudera Employee

Re: What happens to a cluster after Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition Trial

Hello,

Per the Cloudera Manager Documentation [a]:

"License Expiration

When a Cloudera Enterprise [or Enterprise Trial] license expires, the following occurs:

• Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition Trial - Enterprise features are no longer available."

The specific Enterprise features that will become unavailable are detailed on the Product Comparision page [b].

[a] - http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cm_ag_licenses.html#cmu...

[b] - http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/products-and-services/product-comparison.html

To your questions directly,

1. The cluster doesn't have to be restarted at the end of the Trial license. You may wish to plan or schedule a restart however, so that all features restart in their stable Express version state.

2. Parcel management remains available after the Enterprise Trial license expires.

Regards,

Mark

Expert Contributor

Does it apply to full Enterprise license as well?  In other words, if we decide not to renew the contract, would CM just automatically lock out the Enterprise features without causing outage to the rest of services?  Or do we need to re-install Express from scratch?

Cloudera Employee

As per the contractual enterprise license agreement's language, the enterprise license key must be removed as per the instructions here if there's no further enterprise contract in place:

https://cloudera-portal.force.com/articles/KB_Article/Removing-Cloudera-Manager-Enterprise-License

Hope this helps.

Expert Contributor

Sure, but what will happen to our installation? Would my cluster still function at Express or CDH level? Would it shut down?
Expert Contributor

Sure, but what will happen to our installation? Would my cluster still function at Express or CDH level? Would it shut down?
Cloudera Employee

Removal of the enterprise license key will revert the cluster back to express. The documentation details the enterprise functionality that is enabled with the key in use. That functionality would no longer be available once the key isn't in place.
Cloudera Employee

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-6-x/topics/cm_ig_feature_differences.html

Here's a nice side-by-side showing the functionality that's enabled by using the enterprise license key.

In summary, those items will no longer be available. Does it mean the cluster will be inoperable? Definitely not. But, any functionality tied to the specific items in the document will be impacted.

Hope this helps. Any further questions please let us know.
Explorer

I have just finished my Cloudera Manager trial. How can I transform it ito a Express version? Now I can not do anything with the installation. I can not even access to the main page of Cloudera Manager.
Thanks!
Cloudera Employee

Hello,

What do you mean you have finished your trial?   Did the 60 days expire, or did you click the "End Trial" button?

Either way, the only thing you should see different is the indication of which license is being used under ADMINISTRATION > LICENSE

And the funtionality under "Cloudera Enterprise additional features" https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_feature_differences.html  will not work anymore.

Are you saying you cannot even login to CM anymore?  This should NOT happen.

What version of CM/CDH do you have installed?

Maybe a restart of the CM service on the host it is running on will help?        service cloudera-scm-server restart

Tina

Announcements