New Contributor

What is the impact of cloudera management service restart on other services

Hi All,

I am new to Cloudera and started learning recently .I have simple and one of the  basic question what is the impact of restarting of cloudera management service after doing configuration changes on other service like (Yarn,HDFS,HBase).Can I perform restart of cloudera management service on a production box at my convinence or it need any schedule downtime for performing the restart.

Topics: 3
Kudos: 118
Solutions: 67

Re: What is the impact of cloudera management service restart on other services

First, Cloudera Manager Services, like Host monitor and Reports manager are different from say the Cluster services, like HDFS, YARN, etc. If you make changes to the cluster services you need to restart them but not CMS, and vice versa.

Restarting CMS services only affects CM functionality, so it won't disrupt cluster operations. Users can still access HDFS, run jobs in YARN, etc.

Restarting cluster services will be disruptive. If you have HA configured (only available for some services) and have the non-express version, you can do a rolling restart. This will allows users to continue to use the cluster. All other services that don't have HA configured and aren't restarted in a rolling fashion will disrupt users. So plan with your business users on when you can restart them.
Announcements