New Contributor

Installing Cloudera Search

I just installed Cloudera Manager  4.8 (Cloudera Standard 4) following "Installation Path A - Automated Installation by Cloudera Manager"  and created a cluster of four nodes. I need to install and use Cloudera Search, so I added necessary services: hdfs, mapreduce, zookeeper and solr. I did not add flume, hue,  inpala, etc. as I want bare mimimum for Cloudera search.

As I understand from documentation "Installing Cloudera Search" at:

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Search/latest/Cloudera-Search-Install...

and from the article "How-to: Add Cloudera Search to Your Cluster using Cloudera Manager" posted at CLoudera blogs:

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/11/how-to-add-cloudera-search-to-your-cluster-using-cloudera-mana...

I do not need anything else and can now proceed to "Cloudera Search Tutorial" to test my installation.

"Cloudera Search Installation Approaches" says:

Cloudera Search currently supports installation using either packages or using Cloudera Manager

I noticed though that files and directories I found in Cloudera QuickStart VM and mentioned in the tutiorial are not installed in my cluster. Following directories are missing:

- /usr/share/doc/search*/

- /usr/lib/solr

- /usr/lib/search

- /etc/default/solr

- etc.

Shall I install Cloudera Search manually, as descibed in "Installing Solr Packages"?

Thanks.

Cloudera Employee

Re: Installing Cloudera Search

Hi Victor,

I am happy to help you through the installation process. As you have mentioned, Cloudera Search can be installed through packages or using Cloudera Manager. When we talk about installation through Cloudera Manager, we are referring to Parcel based installation.

In order to make sure the Search bits are present in your system:

* If you have installed it through Cloudera Manager, check for the Parcels page located at the top-right corner of the CM admin page and check to see if there is any SOLR-** parcel in activated stage? (If so, then the file system path for parcel is at - /opt/cloudera/parcels/SOLR-** (This should have all Search packages))

* If you have installed Search though packages (then it should have the directories similar to quick start VM)

If Search is not installed; then we would recommend you to install via CM(Parcel) or through packages (whichever way is more convinient for you). From Cloudera standpoint, we recommend using CM/Parcels as it is comes as one bundle and easy to manage.

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM4Ent/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Managi...

Let us know if you have any more questions.

New Contributor

Thank you for response.

I installed SOLR using parcels. My question was about the directory structure. Cloudera documentation and tutorial do not say anything about differences in directory structure depending on the installation method (parcels vs packages), so I was not sure that everthing was ins talled properly, Later I found that Cloudera Search installation through the Cloudera Manager and parcels installs everything in the /opt/cloudera/parcels/SOLR directory, which is a soft link to the real version of the SOLR installed on each cluster node:

$ ls -l /opt/cloudera/parcels
 total 12
 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   26 Dec 20 12:04 CDH -> CDH-4.5.0-1.cdh4.5.0.p0.30
 drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Nov 20 21:09 CDH-4.5.0-1.cdh4.5.0.p0.30
 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Dec 24 11:35 IMPALA -> IMPALA-1.2.1-1.p0.850
 drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Nov 22 03:29 IMPALA-1.2.1-1.p0.850
 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   27 Dec 23 18:47 SOLR -> SOLR-1.1.0-1.cdh4.3.0.p0.21
 drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Nov 21 06:12 SOLR-1.1.0-1.cdh4.3.0.p0.21

My first impression was that installation is not compete, otherwise I would see all the directories were the tutorial says (maybe linked to directories in "/opt/cloudera/parcels/SOLR").

Now I understand that we should just use whatever is installed in /opt/cloudera/parcels/SOLR directory. Cloudera documentation should document this facts.

Thanks,

Victor

Highlighted
Cloudera Employee

Victor -

It's true that as we add more features, it's a challenge to keep the documentation up-to-date. Having these sorts of issues pointed out is valuable. Thank you.

I've made some changes to two of the topics in our documentation:

In "Cloudera Search Installation Approaches" and in "Cloudera Search Tutorial", I've added notes explaining that installation locations may vary. I've also listed the typical installation locations for packages as well as for parcels. In the case of the tutorial, I added a note explaining that "The tutorial provides examples that work with an environment established using a package-based installation. If you installed Cloudera Search using Parcels, adjust paths accordingly."

I believe these updates will help other users avoid the confusion the old version of the docs created.

This update will appear with our next release.

If you have other feedback, let us know.

Thanks,
Chris