Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Special characters in mysql sqoop import as Text and Parquet file

New Contributor

I have 1000 tables with more than 100000 records in each table in mysql. The tables have 300-500 columns. Some of tables have columns with special characters like .(dot) and space in the column names. Now I want to do sqoop import and create a hive table in HDFS in a single shot query like below as textfile

sqoop import --connect ${domain}:${port}/$(database) --username ${username} --password ${password}\
--table $(table) -m 1 --hive-import --hive-database ${hivedatabase} --hive-table $(table) --create-hive-table\
--target-dir /user/hive/warehouse/${hivedatabase}.db/$(table)

After this the hive table is created but when I do select * query on the table it shows error as

This error output is a sample output.

Error while compiling statement: FAILED: RuntimeException java.lang.RuntimeException: cannot find field emp from [0:emp.id, 1:emp.name, 2:emp.salary, 3:emp.dno]

However when I do the import as parquet file the table is created and when I do select query the query gives me expected results. Even the .(dot) are replaced with _(underscore) automatically

Why is this happening?

2 REPLIES 2

Champion

if you are having  trouble passing the special characte, trying using  --map-column-java and you should be able to suprass those errors . type cast to your needs. or You can use --map-column-hive

sqoop import ... --map-column-java id=String,value=Integer

Contributor

Hi Csguna,

Doing this for one or two columns is fine but doing for more than 200 columns is where I am stuck

Sqoop import ... --map-column-java id=String,value=Integer