Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Vendor comparison Cloudera Kafka vs. Confluent

Explorer

Hi,

We are in the process of investigating the key differentiators between the Kafka distributions in Cloudera & Confluent and wanted to get a second opinion on this.

Please could you outline what you believe to be the key distinguishing features with respect to Kafka between Cloudera & Confluent?

Is it just the Kafka versions and products surrounding the open source Kafka implementation, or is there something more that each vendor offers?

Many thanks,

Mark

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

New Contributor

At the lowest common denominator Cloudera and Confluent both offer support for an open source Apache Kafka. Cloudera's CDH typically is a base Apache release + a few patches that their customers have requested. Their current release includes Apache Kafka 0.9.0 + patches. Confluent provides similar packaging but their current release is Apache Kafka 0.10.0. Given that Confluent's main role is to support Kafka, they support a little more of the Kafka ecosystem at the moment. For example the Schema Registry, a REST proxy and non java clients like c and python. Confluent also supports Kafka Connect and Kafka Streams. Correct me if I’m wrong but Cloudera only supports the Kafka Broker and uses Kafka with Hadoop components like Flume and Spark.

Disclamer: I'm a Confluent employee and former Cloudera employee.

View solution in original post

New Contributor

One quick clarification. Kafka 0.9 + has support for SSL. Spark 1.X is using the old consumer API which only supports the PLAINTEXT protocol. Spark 2.0 uses the new consumer api which does have SSL + Kerberos support

CDH will be most likely ship an updated Spark version once Cloudera has finished testing.

Navigator Encrypt is a good option in the Cloudera ecosystem to provide encryption at rest. Confluent provides this functionality by utilizing partnerships with a few encryption at rest vendors. 

Most of the patches that Confluent provides originate from customer requests. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

New Contributor

At the lowest common denominator Cloudera and Confluent both offer support for an open source Apache Kafka. Cloudera's CDH typically is a base Apache release + a few patches that their customers have requested. Their current release includes Apache Kafka 0.9.0 + patches. Confluent provides similar packaging but their current release is Apache Kafka 0.10.0. Given that Confluent's main role is to support Kafka, they support a little more of the Kafka ecosystem at the moment. For example the Schema Registry, a REST proxy and non java clients like c and python. Confluent also supports Kafka Connect and Kafka Streams. Correct me if I’m wrong but Cloudera only supports the Kafka Broker and uses Kafka with Hadoop components like Flume and Spark.

Disclamer: I'm a Confluent employee and former Cloudera employee.

Explorer
Thanks for the quick response.

This seems to be in line with what we've found so far - the only addition would be that Cloudera offer Navigator for encrypting data at rest (which is desirable as Kafka + Spark 1.6.x doesn't support SSL).

Silly question, but are Confluent also willing to patch based on customer requests?

Keen to hear any additional thoughts from the community incase we are missing any other particular differentiators.

New Contributor

One quick clarification. Kafka 0.9 + has support for SSL. Spark 1.X is using the old consumer API which only supports the PLAINTEXT protocol. Spark 2.0 uses the new consumer api which does have SSL + Kerberos support

CDH will be most likely ship an updated Spark version once Cloudera has finished testing.

Navigator Encrypt is a good option in the Cloudera ecosystem to provide encryption at rest. Confluent provides this functionality by utilizing partnerships with a few encryption at rest vendors. 

Most of the patches that Confluent provides originate from customer requests. 

Contributor
Hi Mark,

I think Jeremy summed up the differences reasonably well. We both offer management capabilities for Kafka and probably have similar strategies for what gets released in terms of back-ports etc. One interesting thing that's coming soon is Sentry integration with Kafka. 

Thanks

Jeff