Highlighted
New Contributor

log4j issue with mahout

I'm a newbie to both Cloudera and Mahout. And I know little about Java environements. (But I do have many years' experience using Python and SciPy!)

I'm trying to run some Mahout commands, and I keep getting the following errors:

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.mahout.driver.MahoutDriver).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

It is not at all obvious how to do that. I have no familiarity with log4j. When I look it up, I find references to log4j.properties, but I have no idea where it resides for Mahout in the Cloudera environment. I see recommendations to use Cloudera Manager, and I found a web page that said that log4j could only be modified in a Cloudera environment by a Safety Valvles mechanism. But not of it makes much sense to me at this point. I figure I could spend days studying the issue. 

But all I want to do is run mahout commands on a small data set, and I am running locally in VMWare Fusion on a Mac. I have LOCAL_HOST=1. I am guessing that to do what I want to do, a very short term experimental project, I probably shouldn't have to become an expert in Cloudera and log4j, if someone could just tell me how to resolve this error.

So... thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Gary

Announcements