Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cannot ping cloudera cluster nodes

Explorer

Hi all,

I am getting started with Cloudera Live. I've managed to get my test cluster created, but now I cannot connect to any of the nodes. I've tried both the public DNS and the public IP addresses, neither works. I can't even ping it.

I checked the security group settings for the nodes -- looks like it has all inbound connections from all IP addresses allowed (which is a bit odd because the documentation says that by default it's not allowed).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Nikolay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Hi all, 

the issue was resolved. In case anyone else experiences a similar problem, here are some steps that helped me:

1) check security groups on the cluster; if all traffic is allowed but you're still unable to connect, try adding an exception for SSH (port 22) anyway

2) check that you're not trying to connect from under VPN (and/or check outgoing firewall rules) 

3) if public IPs aren't working, try public DNS names instead (if they're not showing, you might need enable them first)

4) don't rely on ping too much for diagnosing connectivity -- looks like you might be able to SSH without being able to ping

Best regards,

Nikolai 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Explorer

Hi all, 

the issue was resolved. In case anyone else experiences a similar problem, here are some steps that helped me:

1) check security groups on the cluster; if all traffic is allowed but you're still unable to connect, try adding an exception for SSH (port 22) anyway

2) check that you're not trying to connect from under VPN (and/or check outgoing firewall rules) 

3) if public IPs aren't working, try public DNS names instead (if they're not showing, you might need enable them first)

4) don't rely on ping too much for diagnosing connectivity -- looks like you might be able to SSH without being able to ping

Best regards,

Nikolai