Explorer

Cloudera Live (GoGrid) for Oracle Big Data Discovery (BDD) compatibility

Hi Cloudera,

I've started using Oracle's latest offering in the BigData space - Big Data Discovery. I see from the documentation that this product heavily depends on Cloudera CDH. And it (BDD) requires Oracle linux 6 as the base OS. However, currently I subscribed for GoGrid cluster and im using CHD on GoGrid, what I see is that GoGrid servers have CentOS, they are currently not offering linux 6 based servers. Could you please help advice on how I can proceed with the cloud based option of Cloudera-GoGrid if I have to install BDD?

Please reach out to me if you require any additional details. Any suggestions from other users is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Cloudera Employee

Re: Cloudera Live (GoGrid) for Oracle Big Data Discovery (BDD) compatibility

The Cloudera clusters on GoGrid are running on CentOS 6. CentOS aims to be 100% binary-compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which Oracle also claims, so the 2 are VERY closely related. Cloudera has different repositories for different operating systems, but we actually use the same repository and the same packages for RHEL, CentOS, and OEL (Oracle Enterprise Linux).

I would suggest you find out if CentOS 6 would meet the requirements for what you need to do. Failing that, another option you might consider looking into is migrating the machines from CentOS to OEL, which Oracle claims is relatively straightforward: http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/. This is not something that I have (nor anyone else at Cloudera that I'm aware of has) tested doing with a running CM + CDH cluster, so I do not know if you are likely to run into problems or what those may be, but it's worth considering as an option, IMO.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Cloudera Live (GoGrid) for Oracle Big Data Discovery (BDD) compatibility

Thanks Sean, I will try these options and get back to you on the outcome. Appreciate your prompt response.

Announcements