Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

I am not able to run cloudera VM in VM player or oracle virtual box in windows 8 PC

Explorer

I am not able to run cloudere 5.4 VM in windows 8.1 PC in either VM player or oracle  virtual box 

did anybody face this problem earlier.

I have downloaded VM image from below link

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/downloads/quickstart_vms/cdh-5-4-x.html

But when i unzip it and try import or open the file in VM player or oracle virtual box its not loading 

Can you please help

My system details are windows 8.1 16GB ram PC

Thanks

Manoj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Does it actually install the machine but you can't run it?  If so, I experienced the same thing until I went into BIOS and enabled Intel Virtualization Technology (VT).  You might try looking into that.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Guru
Do you get any error message? Is there any more detail you can provide like
exactly what's shown on the screen and what steps you've taken? When you
say VM Player, do you mean VMware?

I would also suggest comparing the checksums to make sure your download
isn't corrupted.

Expert Contributor

Does it actually install the machine but you can't run it?  If so, I experienced the same thing until I went into BIOS and enabled Intel Virtualization Technology (VT).  You might try looking into that.

Explorer

HI Can you help me how can i go to  BIOS and try in detail 

Expert Contributor

Most likely on boot of your system, you'll need to press a button to get into BIOS.  If you reach the operating system boot screen, you've gone too far.  Some of the commone buttons to hit are: F1, F2, F10, DEL, ESC.  However, some computers have a special button to press to enable booting options and getting into BIOS (my laptop has this).  Once you are in BIOS, look for Intel Virtualization and enable it.  I'd also look up your model, do a search with the computer model and Intel Virtualization and see if there is specific guidance and supportability for it on your PC. 

Now as a disclaimer, I don't know that this is your problem, but it could be.  A bit of Googling will go a long way in diagnosing as well.

Hope this helps

Explorer
HI Thanks for the solution I have enabled the VT in BIOS now its working fine

New Contributor
Hi Manoj, I enabled the VT in BIOS..still file is not loading through VM player. No error message..

Expert Contributor

Hmm, so my thoughts immediately go to perhaps re-downloading the VM, or doing a MD5 hash or checksum compare to the image you currently have. 

I'm also wondering if you have anything conflicting, like another virtualization platform like Hyper-V? 

New Contributor

Hi Manoj

I am not able to run Claudera in the VM i installed. I see a black screen blink and that's it. Could you please help me to enable VT seetings to check if that works .

My system Configuration:

Windows 7 8GB RAM

Guru
The settings you refer to are part of the BIOS. This is usually accessible
via a menu you have the option to open during boot, sometimes by holding
F12 or another key. I'm afraid the details of how you open that menu and
where the setting is will vary widely between different computers. I would
recommend you consult any documentation from your computer's manufacturer.