Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Install Quickstart VM files on physical CentOS machne

New Contributor

Hello there,

I am new to Cloudera products. Apologies in advance if my question does not make sense. 

I donwloaded Quicksrat VM for VirtualBox and installed it on my Windows 10 PC. Then I realized that I cannot use Cloudera Manager because I need to give minimum of 8GB of RAM to VM. My laptop't total RAM is 8GB. I need to use Cloudera Manager. I wanna ask if it is possible in any way to install this Quickstart VM files directly on my Laptop and not in VirtualBox. I will delete Windows installation and install this CentOS and all the stuff which I downloaded from Cloudera package as Quickstart VM. In this way I will be giving my total 8 GB of RAM to it and I hope I will be able to use Cloudera Manager. Please let me know. If it is possible; how can make bootable USB from this VMDF file which I downloaded from Cloudera.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Community Manager

I thought that might be what you meant. I am not aware of a way to install the QuickStart without the use of a VM. It sounds like your approach would be attempting to install CDH and Cloudera Manager directly to the laptop. This brings up a different list of hardware requirements and issues. You would lose the ease of setup provided with the QuickStart VM. Cloudera QuickStart VM also includes a tutorial, sample data, and scripts for getting started that are not present when you go this route. 

Perhaps someone else knows of a better way to acheive your goal that I am not aware of. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

New Contributor

Thank you very much @cjervis. I see your point now. Thanks a lot once again

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Community Manager

Hi @Mohsin,

Even if the files where run without VirtualBox you would not have 8GB of RAM available. Windows 10 64bit requires a minimum of 2GB of RAM leaving you with 6GB before you even take into consideration any other software you have running on the laptop at the time. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

New Contributor

Thank you @cjervis for your response. I think I was not clear. Let me try again. I don't wanna run Windows 10 alongside. I will delete Windows 10 from my hard drive. I will have only one OS in machine and that OS would be, lets say, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (as suggested by Cloudera). Now I wanna install Cloudera Manager for single node and start working on it (for lerning purposes). Can I do that? Thanks a lot for bearing with me.

Regards,

Mohsin

Community Manager

I thought that might be what you meant. I am not aware of a way to install the QuickStart without the use of a VM. It sounds like your approach would be attempting to install CDH and Cloudera Manager directly to the laptop. This brings up a different list of hardware requirements and issues. You would lose the ease of setup provided with the QuickStart VM. Cloudera QuickStart VM also includes a tutorial, sample data, and scripts for getting started that are not present when you go this route. 

Perhaps someone else knows of a better way to acheive your goal that I am not aware of. 

New Contributor

Thank you very much @cjervis. I see your point now. Thanks a lot once again

New Contributor

QuickStart_Hd

Hello. I don't know if you found a solution after so long. I was with the same limitations. Finally I was able to convert the Vm in physical machine. I clone you with Clonezilla. There are a lot of details, but I want to put together a detailed tutorial soon.