Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Issue with Quickstart VM

New Contributor

I am trying to configure Quickstart VM on Mac OS X.

The downloaded cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.4.0-1-virtualbox.7z file is reporting error when i try to unzip it using 'The Unarchiever' app.

The error definition is: The archieve is file is incomplete.

Is there any known issue here? i have tried downloading the VM file a few times, each time it was showing as corrupt. Not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Vijay Bhore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Never mind. I could download it on a windows machine and unarchive it on mac later. 

Thanks,

Vijay

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

New Contributor

Never mind. I could download it on a windows machine and unarchive it on mac later. 

Thanks,

Vijay

Guru

Thanks for the followup.  Glad you found a workaround.

Explorer

When I downloaded "cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z" and opening it with The Unarchiver on OSX 10.9.5, I get an error:

"There was a problem while reading the contents of the file 'cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z': The archive is incomplete"

Is there any way to get a .gz version of the download?

Explorer

Thinking that this may have been a osx issue, I tried to extract this archive in a linux VM:

vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:~$ sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
p7zip-rar
The following NEW packages will be installed:
p7zip-full
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 93 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,561 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,995 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe p7zip-full amd64 9.20.1~dfsg.1-4 [1,561 kB]
Fetched 1,561 kB in 1s (934 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package p7zip-full.
(Reading database ... 81098 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking p7zip-full (from .../p7zip-full_9.20.1~dfsg.1-4_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up p7zip-full (9.20.1~dfsg.1-4) ...
vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:~$ which 7za
/usr/bin/7za

vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:/granary$ 7za e cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z

7-Zip (A) [64] 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,2 CPUs)

Processing archive: cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z

Error: Can not open file as archive

Explorer

The sha1 of the file I got was:

vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:/granary$ sha1sum cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z
c5e290f1eeb5ba588603f919e7144e6f8d41eba9 cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z

Which is different from the sha1 of 626595ef7e445ecfb80280b9353340e0e049807c (from http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/downloads/quickstart_vms/cdh-4-7-x.html)

So, I'll try to download the file again.

Guru

You beat me to it! I was just downloading the file to confirm the integrity of the file. I downloaded cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z, the SHA-1 checksum matched, and I was able to extract it. If you're not doing so already, I recommend using a download manager for large files (I use DownThemAll! for Firefox) - it will deal with network failures more gracefully than the one built-in to most browsers and you're less likely to have a corrupted or interrupted download.

Explorer

Downloading the file again worked.

(Though, as a small feature request, it'd be handy to have tar.gz versions of the downloads as those utilities already come with the OSes I use:))

Guru
I hear you - I prefer .tar.gz myself but we found that with most formats
(.tar.gz included) the ability to extract large archives (>2GB) was very
inconsistent between different tools and it caused a lot of confusion among
users about what the problem actually was.

Explorer

I downloaded the 5.12x Quickstart VM and I think I am having issues...

I have my VM running on Windows Host... and VM configured for 4 CPU and 10 GB of RAM with 100GB of Virtual Storage...

I started the VM and it appears all the services started fine ( I see 'OK' during the startup)...

I typed 'hive' on the terminal and I see 'hive' prompt showing up.

I clicked on the 'Launch Cloudera Express' link... The services are shutdown and started...

But, when I type 'Hive' again (after the services have started) 'Hive' would provide 'Connection Refused' exception to the 8820 port...

I open the Cloudera Manager page in browser and I see HDFS, Hive etc many services have grey circle on the left (says 'Stopped')... 

It appears something wrong with the startup script (or do I need to manually start all the services - defeats the purpose, I suppose,  if this is the case)

Please advise...

Thanks.