Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to launch (cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-vmware) on (VMware-player-5.0.4) in windows 7.

New Contributor

Hi All,

I am trying to launch "cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-vmware" on VM (VMware-player-5.0.4-1945795) but no luck. nothing is hapening.

I have installed 'VMware-player-5.0.4-1945795' in Windows 7 Enterprise with 8 GB RAM

Unzip 'cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-vmware' file using 7zip or winzip as well

open cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-vmware  files from VM Player.

Clicked on 'Play Virtual Machine'.

Nothing is coming on screen. uanable to proceed further.

Could you please help as i am new to VMs also I read couple of threads here saying that may be we need to change in BIOS settings. I don't know how to change.

Regards

Ankur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Enabling virtualization in a PC is usually a step you take during boot up. As your system boots up, it will flash a message telling you to press a key (e.g. F1, F2, escape) to configure BIOS settings. If you have never run a VM on your laptop before, you will likely have to take this step.

The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. Here is a VMware knowledge base article that may help: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 and here is another good reference that provides information specific to certain brands: http://amiduos.com/support/knowledge-base/article/enabling-virtualization-in-bios

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Expert Contributor

Enabling virtualization in a PC is usually a step you take during boot up. As your system boots up, it will flash a message telling you to press a key (e.g. F1, F2, escape) to configure BIOS settings. If you have never run a VM on your laptop before, you will likely have to take this step.

The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. Here is a VMware knowledge base article that may help: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 and here is another good reference that provides information specific to certain brands: http://amiduos.com/support/knowledge-base/article/enabling-virtualization-in-bios

New Contributor

Thanks for the information. it really means a lot. Now I am able to play the VM on top of windows 7. You rocks.

Expert Contributor

Great! So glad it's working!

New Contributor

I am able to run a Virtual machine of Ubuntu on VMware 10in WIndows 7.

When I try for cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-vmware. Its not working.

Is there any chance that Ubuntu works and cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-vmware oesn't work in same machine?

I am not sure what to do? 

New Contributor

I have checked my BOS settings. Virtualization is enabled and also I am able to run other VMs on the VMware 10.

I am not able to run the Cloudera Vm 5.4.2.

Can you please assist me

New Contributor

hi there,

When I unzip 'cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.8.0-0-vmware' file using 7zip or winzip, I received data error.

I've downloaded the VM twice with no interruption.

Any suggestion what could be wrong?

Community Manager

Welcome to the community @Hamid77. As stated in our Community Knowledge article on installing the QuickStart VM:

We HIGHLY recommend that you install a “Download Manager” extension to your web browser and utilize that to manage the download of the Quickstart VM as it is a VERY large file and can easily get corrupted during download due to connectivity issues.

If this doesn't solve your issue I suggest starting a new thread with a complete description of your setup and steps taken to receive the error. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer
Just curious to know your system details
Like how much ram and core do you have .
Could you tell me