Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Upgrade to CDH4 from Cdh3U6 w/o Cloudera manager

Hi,

I am trying to find instrictiions to upgrade to CDH4 from CDH3U6 bypassing cloudera manager completely. For that I need to create local yum rep on RedHat. Instructions at http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM4Ent/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Instal... requires to install CDH4 and use parcels. I would like not to install it. Rather, I am looking for a Clouder CDH4 repo file which I would like to inside my firewall and then install all the RPMs from this repo. But I am unable to find the repo file. Do I need to download TAR file instead and see if that comes with REPO file inside of it. Has someone gone through this exercise before. I was hoping this should be straigthforward but loooks like it isn't. Please help.

Cheers

Upen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor
Ok, so the way I understand it is that when you do an upgrade it puts the previous fs state into a 'previous' subdirectory of each dfs.name.dir. This way the upgrade can be rolled back if something goes wrong (by basically doing a rename(prevDir, curDir)). When the upgrade is proven successful you can finalize the upgrade--which removes the prevDir--or rollback, which does the rename I mentioned.

For this reason, starting a new upgrade checks to make sure the prevDir does not exist, for you would otherwise lose the ability to rollback a previously unfinished upgrade.

Based on all of that and your exception, it seems as though an upgrade was or is already in progress and was not finalized. Have you run this upgrade command a few times? If so, do you have the output from the first run ever?

All state is kept within these directories, so you should be able to take a manual backup like I mentioned and then try some things out. For instance you might want to try finalizing or rollback the previous upgrade and go from there.

It would be nice if someone else chimed in because while I have somewhat of an understanding of how this works it is all based on my own reading of docs and the code, and not any real-world experience (like I said, I've never had to do an fs upgrade because we always migrate to a new cluster).

Hope this helps.
Bryan Beaudreault
Senior Technical Lead, Data Ops
HubSpot, Inc

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Contributor

The repos are at http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/redhat/6/x86_64/cdh/.  You can see the various CDH4 minor versions listed there, and clicking in you will find the repodata, etc.  You shouldn't have a problem reposync'ing that to a local yum server.

I've done this migration myself, but in a much different way.  We didn't reposync, and we basically spun up a brand new cluster with the new software then synchronized the data over using a modified distcp.  

Have you seen this documentation? http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/4.2.0/CDH4-Installation-Guide/cd...  Unless I'm mistaken, this should step you through an upgrade without CDM (and without parcels).

Bryan Beaudreault
HubSpot, Inc

Thanks Bryan for the prompt reply. That should work for me I guess. I like the idea of creating a brand new cluster and then use distcp. But unfortunately, we don't have a new cluster which we can leverage. So I will have to do with other option. Did you have any major challenges during upgrade ? Did your map reduce code compile well under cdh4 ?

Thanks

Upen

Contributor

The migration went pretty smooth for us.  However, keep in mind that the CDH4 clients can't talk to CDH3 servers, and vice versa, except through hftp.  So you're going to need to coordinate the upgrade of library code and upgrade of the cluster.  For us this involved quite a bit of work, since we can't afford to take much downtime for any part of our product.  I hope for your sake this is not the case for you 🙂  

We have a ton of custom infrastructure around build, deploy, etc so it's hard to give generic advice around that.  If you have any specific questions I can try to answer as they come up though.

Bryan Beaudreault
HubSpot, Inc

I am at a point where I am upgrading namenode using "sudo hadoop-hdfs-namenode upgrade". But it is compalining because it is conflicting with old Fsimage (CDH3). If I delete the old fsimage, I lose all my data. How can I safely upgrade. Please help. This is one step where I can't afford to be adeventurous 🙂

Contributor

I did not have to do this since I did a direct copy of data to a new cluster.  A couple notes though:

1) You should only need the latest fsimage file.  If an older one is causing issues, you could delete it as long as you still have another.  Don't delete the edits files though.

2) You should make a copy of your fsimage and edits files, in fact the entire dfs.name.dir directory.  This is recommended in general for falling back, but would allow you to do some playing safely.

I still may not be able to help much, but what was the full stacktrace, and some of the surrounding log lines for the failure?

Bryan Beaudreault
HubSpot, Inc

Hi Bryan,

Error says: InconsistentFSSTateException: /srv/namenode is in in inconsistent state. previous fs state should not exist during upgrade. Finalize or rollback first.

Now, my question is if I would be able to reconcile my fsimage later when I take back up.

Thanks

Upen

Contributor
Ok, so the way I understand it is that when you do an upgrade it puts the previous fs state into a 'previous' subdirectory of each dfs.name.dir. This way the upgrade can be rolled back if something goes wrong (by basically doing a rename(prevDir, curDir)). When the upgrade is proven successful you can finalize the upgrade--which removes the prevDir--or rollback, which does the rename I mentioned.

For this reason, starting a new upgrade checks to make sure the prevDir does not exist, for you would otherwise lose the ability to rollback a previously unfinished upgrade.

Based on all of that and your exception, it seems as though an upgrade was or is already in progress and was not finalized. Have you run this upgrade command a few times? If so, do you have the output from the first run ever?

All state is kept within these directories, so you should be able to take a manual backup like I mentioned and then try some things out. For instance you might want to try finalizing or rollback the previous upgrade and go from there.

It would be nice if someone else chimed in because while I have somewhat of an understanding of how this works it is all based on my own reading of docs and the code, and not any real-world experience (like I said, I've never had to do an fs upgrade because we always migrate to a new cluster).

Hope this helps.
Bryan Beaudreault
HubSpot, Inc

Thanks Bryan. I was able to bring up CDH4. Trick was, as you said, to remove "previous" subdir.

Cheers

Upen