Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Access Impala from Oracle SQL Developer or similar tool

Hi guys,

has anybody experience how to setup an access from SQL Developer to Impala via JDBC/ODBC?

I have read a discussion forum (outdated) where it states that Oracle does not support Impala, better said Oracle has a whitelist of connectors, 

Impala is not there.

If SQL Developer cannot be used, do you have any suggestion what tool should use a Oracle developer who needs to access Imapal (and

dont want to use Hue, neither impala-shell)?

Thanks

T.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer
10 REPLIES 10

Explorer

DB Visualiser

I tried the eval version, after some issues finally managed to connect to Impala and Hive as well.
Thanks

New Contributor

Hello,

Were you able to connect to HDFS using Impala via SQL Developer?

please share the details.

Thanks

Bhupal

I wonder if you were able to access Impala or Hive on *kerberized* cluster or on a cluster with any kind of authentication mecanism.  Please do tell.

Yes, it works with kerberized cluster.

Could you please tell me *what* works with kerberized cluster?  Toad for Hadoop,  DB Visualizer, another tool? 

Toad for Hadoop.

Contributor

you can connect hive (kerberised cluster / SSL TLS enabled) from SQL Developer. 

I am trying to connect (kerberised cluster / SSL TLS enabled) Impala from SQL Developer, is it working for any one?

Update: try Toad for Hadoop. It supports Impala and Hive with Kerberos, unfortunately the combination LDAP+Kerberos is not supported (yet).

Very nice tool, you can access impala, other databases, hdfs in one place. The cool thing is that if you use Cloudera Manager, the tool connects to the CM and fetches all the config info, so you dont have to configure the impala ports, and resource manager address, hdfs namenode etc etc.

T.