New Contributor

HDP2.4 Sandbox - Impala Daemon not starting

Hi, I am trying to install Impala on Hortonworks HDP2.4 sandbox. I followed the steps in the link "https://gist.github.com/rampage644/4e24ee5014d3d6d8bee8#file-impala-hdp-md". I am able to start "Impala_Catalog_Service" and "Impala_State_Store". But when I start "Impala_Daemon" in Ambari or from root, it starts, but immediatly goes dead. Refer below.

---------------------------------------------
[root@sandbox ~]# for i in server state-store catalog ; do service "impala-$i" start ; done
Started Impala Server (impalad): [ OK ]
Impala State Store Server is running [ OK ]
Impala Catalog Server is running [ OK ]
[root@sandbox ~]# for i in server state-store catalog ; do service "impala-$i" status ; done
Impala Server is dead and pid file exists [FAILED]
Impala State Store Server is running [ OK ]
Impala Catalog Server is running [ OK ]
---------------------------------------------

When I looked at Impala log file and error (impalad.ERROR) and I noticed the below error.

E0104 06:55:01.432029 9923 thrift-server.cc:180] ThriftServer 'beeswax-frontend' (on port: 21000) exited due to TException: Could not bind: Transport endpoint is not connected
E0104 06:55:01.432111 9702 thrift-server.cc:169] ThriftServer 'beeswax-frontend' (on port: 21000) did not start correctly
F0104 06:55:01.432162 9702 impalad-main.cc:83] ThriftServer 'beeswax-frontend' (on port: 21000) did not start correctly

Any help on how to resolve this would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards
Cloudera Employee

Re: HDP2.4 Sandbox - Impala Daemon not starting

It seems like HDP runs some service on port 21000 - Atlas HA based on some quick googling. You either need to reconfigure that service to run on a different port, or reconfigure Impala to run the beeswax service on a different port (the command line argument is --beeswax_port).

Cloudera Employee

While we're happy to help however we can here, you might also get more mileage out of engaging with the Apache Impala community (see http://impala.incubator.apache.org/community.html). Questions in this forum tend to be about Impala on CDH, but you might find more experience with other distributions upstream. 

In this instance I'm certain Tim's advice is right - that's the message that Thrift sometimes prints when it can't bind to a port because some other process is using it. 

Cheers,

Henry

New Contributor

Thanks Tim. It worked.