Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to rename kudu table name on impala version 2.12

New Contributor

Hi

I'm using Impala on CDH 5.15.0 in our cluster

(version of impala, 2.12)

I try to kudu table rename but occured exception with this message.

ERROR: AnalysisException: Not allowed to set 'kudu.table_name' manually for managed Kudu tables.

I read achive on jira : link

then how can i rename kudu table using impala?

thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

New Contributor

Yep, that worked a treat. Thanks.

Thanks for explanation @mpercy

Super Collaborator

Just following up here, I just tested this on Impala version 2.13 (dev version) and I cannot reproduce the ability to alter table set tblproperties to rename the Kudu table name even after altering the Impala table name. Is anyone else able to reproduce this? I get the following error:

> alter table mpercy_k2 set tblproperties('kudu.table_name'='impala::default.mpercy_k2');
Query: alter table mpercy_k2 set tblproperties('kudu.table_name'='impala::default.mpercy_k2')
ERROR: AnalysisException: Not allowed to set 'kudu.table_name' manually for managed Kudu tables .

However this is by design from what I have discussed with some others.

I think the "bug" is that Impala alter table doesn't automatically rename the Kudu table internally. However it would be a security problem to be able to alter the kudu table name with tblproperties because Sentry applies the security rules to the Impala table name.

Super Collaborator

FYI, I think my reply from 9/21 was wrong. As far as I can tell, the rules work as follows:

1. If the Kudu table is managed by Impala, it's not possible to change the kudu.table_name and kudu.master_addresses properties. This is the case when it's not an EXTERNAL table. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-5654 for more information on that.

I have filed an improvement request to track automatically renaming the Kudu table when the Impala table is renamed to keep them in sync, but right now it's not possible. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-7640 for more information.

2. If you have an EXTERNAL table (Kudu table not managed by Impala) then you are able to alter the kudu.table_name table property.

The above was tested on a non-secure cluster, and I would be interested to hear if others' experiences are the same as mine were even on a secured cluster. However I believe the behavior is the same in both cases.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Contributor

I tried the alter command below in impala-shell 2.12.0 and kudu 1.7.0. However, I'm getting an error. My table is an external table in impala.

The error message is strange. Of course the new table doesn't exists, I want to create it with the command...

ALTER TABLE res_dhcp_int SET TBLPROPERTIES('kudu.table_name'='res_dhcp_int');
Query: ALTER TABLE res_dhcp_int SET TBLPROPERTIES('kudu.table_name'='res_dhcp_int')
ERROR: TableLoadingException: Error loading metadata for Kudu table res_dhcp_int
CAUSED BY: ImpalaRuntimeException: Error opening Kudu table 'res_dhcp_int', Kudu error: The table does not exist: table_name: "res_dhcp_int"

is this a bug? 

EDIT: i just read IMPALA-5654, seems that with impala 2.12.0 this alter command doesn't work anymore! I need an alternative for that 😞