Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Importing Timestamp values returning nulls

Explorer

Hi

I'm attemtping to import a csv file into a table into Hadoop.

The file has imported but the fields with a timestamp field have returned as null for all rows (no nulls in original file).

I've currently formatted the columns in the csv file as custom format yyyy-mm-dd hh:dd:ss

and set the field in the Hadoop table as a timestamp. Presumably the excel format isn't being recognised.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

You can create a table with a text column first, and then use to_timestamp to convert it into a table with a timestamp column.

create table timestamp_table as select column_1, column_2, to_timestamp(column_3, "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm") from text_table;

For documentations on timestamp-related functions, please visit https://impala.apache.org/docs/build/html/topics/impala_datetime_functions.html

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cloudera Employee

The standard timestamp format is"yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss[.SSSSSS]". Is there any warning printed when selecting from this table? Could you share a sample row in the text file?

Explorer

Example of the field is 

27/01/2016  11:25:00

None of the fields have any second values. They're all 00.

Within the file it's formatted as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm.

I've tried changing it to yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss but when I do that, save and re-open it's reverted to the original format.

I can upload into a text field (and it appears as 27/01/2016  11:25) but then if I cast the field as a timestamp it then returns null values.

Cloudera Employee

You can create a table with a text column first, and then use to_timestamp to convert it into a table with a timestamp column.

create table timestamp_table as select column_1, column_2, to_timestamp(column_3, "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm") from text_table;

For documentations on timestamp-related functions, please visit https://impala.apache.org/docs/build/html/topics/impala_datetime_functions.html

Explorer

Thanks, this function worked