Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

UDF Problem: unresolvable relocation of 'ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE@@GLIBCXX_3.4'

Expert Contributor

CentOS 7.3 (C++ compiler: gcc-c++-4.8.5-11.el7.x86_64))

CDH 5.10.1 installed with Parcels

I am trying to compile the sample UDF , and getting the following error 

Linking CXX executable build/udf-sample-test
/bin/ld: /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib64/libImpalaUdf-retail.a(udf.cc.o)(.text+0x3): unresolvable R_X86_64_NONE relocation against symbol `_ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [build/udf-sample-test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/udf-sample-test.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

(I don't have libImpalaUdf.a. For my parcel based installation, I have libImpalaUdf-retail.a and libImpalaUdf-debug.a. If I use the debug one , the unresolvable symbol becomes `_ZSt4cerr@@GLIBCXX_3.4' )

In a question against CDH 5.9.0 , it was suggested to use an older UDF SDK for CDH 5.8.4 . This seesm a bit old now. Is there any pre-compiled libImpalaUdf-retail.a for CDH 5.10.1 which fixes this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe the 5.11 RPM should work ok.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The CDH5.8 version of impala-udf-devel should work with CDH5.9 and CDH5.10, so continuing to use that seems fine. The UDF interface didn't really change in those releases.

The issue was fixed in CDH5.11 so once you get beyond CDH5.10 you can just use the matching versions (as was originally intended). Sorry for the inconvenience.

We did look at backporting the fixes to the 5.9.x and 5.10.x release series to avoid this pain but the fix required a change to our compiler toolchain, which we wouldn't normally do in a maintenance release.

Expert Contributor
We tried CDH5.11 impala-udf-devel RPM and it seemed to work. Is it OK to use with 5.10?
Or it's recommended to revert to 5.8 RPM?

I believe the 5.11 RPM should work ok.