Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

impala java heap config

Contributor

HI,

In impala config, i am setting mem limit to 24G, there is also a java heap size, i dont know if this is used by impala queries? and whats the relation with mem limit, and what should i set, if i have physical say 32G, how big can i set on java heap?

Thanks

Shannon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Llama is deprecated and shouldn't be in use - you should be safe to ignore that option.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Champion

The best practice is to set 8 gb aside  for the os and remaining for the dameons .

Are you refering to JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS property . 

I would start with 8G bump it when hit outofMemory during intial setup . 

Contributor

Java Heap Size of Catalog Server in Bytes - i set to 4G

Java Heap Size of Impala Llama ApplicationMaster in Bytes  - does this have anything to do with impala query?

Llama is deprecated and shouldn't be in use - you should be safe to ignore that option.

Explorer

Hi Tim,

Looks like there're no places to control the max JVM heap size of impalads in Cloudera Manager. (Only one for the catalogd) How can we set JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS for impalads (coordinators)?

We have "Java Heap Size of Impala Daemon in Bytes" in CM 6.1+ and 5.16+. Before that you had to use the "Impala Daemon Environment Advanced Configuration Snippet" safety valve. Here's an example from an internal cluster with dedicated coordinators set up.

safety.png