New Contributor

insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "insert into"

HI,

Came across an interesting behavior with insert_inherit_permissions param.

Doing a bunch of "insert into" table x, hdfs file persmissions are as expected as shown below.

drwxrwxrwt   - impala hive          0 2015-01-06 10:39 /user/hive/warehouse/rt_test/year=2015/month=1/adate=6/hour=10/min=39

Then I did an "insert overwrite" on the same table and found that the hdfs file persmissions got reset as shown below:

drwxr-xr-x   - impala hive          0 2015-01-06 10:43 /user/hive/warehouse/rt_test/year=2015/month=1/adate=6/hour=10/min=39

I am on impala 2.0....

Is this a bug?

Explorer

Re: insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "i

I see this was addressed as patch for IMPALA-827 but it only works for insert statements . The code is such that insert_inherit_permissions is not checked for insert OVERWRITE... is this by design or oversight?

Highlighted
Cloudera Employee

Re: insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "i

[ Edited ]

This does look like a bug. I've filed https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-3297

Announcements

Our community is getting a little larger. And a lot better.

Learn More about the Cloudera and Hortonworks community merger planned for late July and early August.