Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

kudu service are getting down frequently

Expert Contributor

Hi, Kudu crashing frequently with error Couldn't get the current time: Clock unsynchronized. Status: Service unavailable: Error reading clock. Clock considered unsynchronized however i am not seeing any clock offset error in cluster . kudu documents says this could be because of network delay between NTP server and kudu host. but kudu is sharing host with database while datanode is not reporting clock offset error . what could be the reason .

22 REPLIES 22

Expert Contributor

HDFS datanodes don't require clock synchronization in the way that Kudu does.

Is NTP running on these nodes? What is the output of the 'ntptime' command? Are these nodes running on physical hardware, or something else?

Master Collaborator

I have the same issue, and didn't finish a solution for this.

For now i added a cron that restarted the ntpd service at all the server each hour.

This issue prevent me from going with Kudu to production as it doesn't make since to do the restart for 50 nodes each time.

Expert Contributor
@adar - yes DN not require NTP but if ntp is out of sync on these DNs CM will report clock offset .

NTP is running on DNs .

[root@wuwcw0hd3dn01 hadoop-hdfs]# ntptime
ntp_gettime() returns code 5 (ERROR)
time dce74398.988fc000 Sun, Jun 11 2017 0:20:40.595, (.595943),
maximum error 16000000 us, estimated error 16 us, TAI offset 0
ntp_adjtime() returns code 5 (ERROR)
modes 0x0 (),
offset 0.000 us, frequency 0.000 ppm, interval 1 s,
maximum error 16000000 us, estimated error 16 us,
status 0x4041 (PLL,UNSYNC,MODE),
time constant 7, precision 1.000 us, tolerance 500 ppm,
[root@wuwcw0hd3dn01 hadoop-hdfs]#

these all are physical servers

Expert Contributor

You can avoid the dependency on ntpd by running Kudu with --use-hybrid-clock=false, but that has a serious effect on transactional consistency so it's not something we recommend. Instead, I'd focus your efforts on figuring out why your servers' time isn't synchronized. It may have to do with your ntp configuration.

Unfortunately I don't know how ntp works; perhaps you can search across past forum posts? If you do manage to fix this, please post your findings here; if it's a general purpose fix (i.e. not particular to your site configuration), we'll include it in the Kudu documentation.

Master Collaborator

@MSharma Did you find a solution for this?

i'm still stuck with it

Expert Contributor
not yet but restarting ntp service cause more trouble so i have put --use-hybrid-clock=false .
but mostly it is a network delay between ntp server and kudu server which is causing this .
i am still troubleshooting this problem ,will update here if we can do anything to reslove it

New Contributor
 I'm also in the trouble,when I restart the ntpd service,and it going to successful to restart the kudu service.But not a long time,it return to fail status.I see the kudu management page,there is a tip to solve the problem,it sail"for the master and tablet server daemons,the server’s clock must be synchronized using NTP.In addition,the maximum clock error(not to be mistaken with the estimate error) be below a configurable threshold.The default value is 10 seconds,but it can be set with the flag --max_clock_sync_error_usec." the kudu management page(https://kudu.apache.org/docs/troubleshooting.html) provide the solution,but I don't know how to and where to set the parameter"--max_clock_sync_error_usec." thanks.

Expert Contributor
kudu --> configuration -- "Kudu Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for gflagfile

New Contributor
Thank you very much.But I still have a trouble,there is no edit blank for me to change,and only a check box.How should I add the parameter to it..... 抑制参数验证:Kudu Service Environment Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) Kudu(服务范围)   抑制参数验证:Kudu Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for gflagfile Kudu(服务范围)   抑制参数验证:Kudu Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for kudu-monitoring.properties Kudu(服务范围)   抑制参数验证:Service Monitor Derived Configs Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) Kudu(服务范围)