Intros and Suggestions
Introduce yourself to the community, provide feedback or participate in off topic discussions
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

INTRODUCE YOURSELF: Please Reply here to tell us about you!

Highlighted

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF: Please Reply here to tell us about you!

New Contributor

I am mohan ,base location is Singapore  and working with Singtel pvt limitted(Telecom company),recently joined this company as Big data architecture .Our company using cloudera 5.4 entrerprise edition .

Having 10+years experience and cloud era distribution working more  than 2 years in sizing ,storage format,data analytics .

Highlighted

New Contributor
Hi everyone, i'm an Oracle DBA that come close to hadoop world.
I hope this community will help me in this growth !

Have a nice day.
GV
Highlighted

New Contributor

Hello! I'm very new to the Hadoop / Cloudera environment and hoping to learn much from this community. My career arc has been software developer, software architect, and enterprise architect working entirely in the agribusiness industry. I just started a new job and have been given the task of identifying big data use cases to drive value from our Cloudera environment. So, here we go!

Community Manager

Welcome to the community @dhawley@gvisci@mohanpothula and @bioguy046. It is great to see such diverse backgrounds on the community. 

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum
Highlighted

Explorer

Architect/Developer.  In here evaluating Cloudera and Zoomdata.   

Highlighted

Contributor

Hi Cloudera community!

Happy to join your community!

I'm a sysadmin and who love my job and like to works on new technology. So, I'm on Cloudera now!

For some test, we create a cluster with 3 nodes in a labs. 1 node for Cloudera Manager, 1 node for NameNode and DataNode, and the last one as DataNode only. 

It's a labs to discover the new version of Cloudera 5.5. So it's just to made some test on it, not to be in production!

We install these services: hdfs, hive, hue, impala, oozie, zookeeper, Mapreduce2 (Yarn), Sqoop1.

One our developers, try to import some data into Hive, but we got an error. 

Here the command line use by our developers:

sqoop import --connect jdbc:mysql://our.database.url/database --username user --password passwordtest --table table_product --target-dir /path/to/db --split-by product_id --hive-import --hive-overwrite --hive-table table_product

The command start successfully, we see the mapper do the job to 100 but when the job finish, we have an error:

6/02/12 15:37:57 WARN hive.TableDefWriter: Column last_updated had to be cast to a less precise type in Hive
16/02/12 15:37:57 INFO hive.HiveImport: Loading uploaded data into Hive
16/02/12 15:37:57 ERROR hive.HiveConfig: Could not load org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf. Make sure HIVE_CONF_DIR is set correctly.
16/02/12 15:37:57 ERROR tool.ImportTool: Encountered IOException running import job: java.io.IOException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf
    at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveConfig.getHiveConf(HiveConfig.java:50)
    at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveImport.getHiveArgs(HiveImport.java:392)
    at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveImport.executeExternalHiveScript(HiveImport.java:379)
    at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveImport.executeScript(HiveImport.java:337)

I do some search in configuration file about the HIVE_CONF_DIR and doesn't find something weird. 

I don't find a solution about and I block on it... So our developer can't continue his test.

I search in Cloudera Manager configuration too.

Have you an idea about that ? I do some search on web with no success.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Highlighted

Explorer
Hi,
have you already created the table in hive??? If no, then you need to use
the "create-hive-table" parameter also, it will create the hive table.

one more check there is default path for hive exist on hdfs i.e.
/../hive/warehouse

Highlighted

New Contributor

Hi,

I am the latest entrant to this community. I am from mainframe world and have been working in the black world for last 12 years. I am currently working for HSBC for a Core Banking project and am learning Hadoop as a part of my passion.

With all the intellectuals like you guys around, I am sure it wil be an easy ride for me whenever I am stuck.

Highlighted

Explorer

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. I have 14 years of experience. 11 years into IT and initial 3 years into teaching in university and technical instituations. My IT experience mostly speard into java/j2ee technology stack. Since last 2 years I have created an interest in Hadoop and its ecosystem. I had been going through different topics on and off to learn this new technology. But in last 6 to 9 months I have raised a strong passion towards Hadoop ecosystem. The more I am learning I am becoming more passionate. But now the hadoop fever has gone to that extent where I am planning to quit my regular job and become a serious Hadoop developper/consultant.

I am leaving my current company in 2 weeks. After that I will go for CCA 175 cloudera certification. Hope that helps in kick starting my full time career in Data Science.

Thanks,

Satya

Highlighted

Community Manager

Welcome @RanjeetB and @satyanayak, It is great to have you both here. :)

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here