Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Deleting existing DataSets

Expert Contributor

I started learning kite sdk today and am finding some strange behaviour.

so I had created this "users" dataset before which I want to delete and re-create. to do this I do the following steps

1. kite-sdk delete users

In order to confirm if the delete is successful I do a 

kite-sdk show users

Hive table no found: default.users

OK so great users is deleted. Now I do a 

kite-dataset create "users" --schema users.avsc

kite-dataset show users

and I get to see a bunch of records.... but wait... I never imported any data yet. so how come kite is showing me data in the users schema?

as of now I have just created the schema (the step of kite-dataset csv-import) has not been done yet.

so where did the data come from?? is it the data from the previous users table??

capture.png

Where is this data coming from? I have not imported anything yet....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Kite uses the Hive API to drop the table when you tell it to delete the dataset and Hive should take care of dropping the table. Can you check the log of your HiveMetastoreServer to see if there was an error on that side?

To get past the error, you can remove the directory by hand.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rising Star

Kite uses the Hive API to drop the table when you tell it to delete the dataset and Hive should take care of dropping the table. Can you check the log of your HiveMetastoreServer to see if there was an error on that side?

To get past the error, you can remove the directory by hand.

Expert Contributor

I had to delete the directories in HDFS manually It could be that kite-dataset delete command only does a logical delete. this means it only removes the metadata.

anyways. doing kite-dataset delete and then a manual delete in HDFS works for me.