Highlighted
New Contributor

Can not connect to Secure HBase using JAAS

Hello, 

I am having a problem to connect to a Secure HBase cluster when using the JAAS config, I enabled Kerberos using the cloudera wizard.

My program is trying to create some tables, the problem is that if I set the flag -Djava.security.auth.login.config=jaas.conf the JAAS config and the keytab, and then run kinit it suceeds, but if I do not do kinit before then it doesn't works... Am I understanding things incorrectly? Shouldn't the jaas configuration get the kerberos ticket transparently without the need of kinit?

This is my JAAS config:

Client {
com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required
useKeyTab=true
useTicketCache=false
keyTab="/scratch/kerberos/hbase.keytab"
principal="hbase/myhost.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM";
};

If I do exactly the same but without kinit first the I get the following exception:
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: SASL authentication failed. The most likely cause is missing or invalid credentials. Consider 'kinit'.
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$1.run(RpcClientImpl.java:673)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1671)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.handleSaslConnectionFailure(RpcClientImpl.java:631)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupIOstreams(RpcClientImpl.java:739)
... 17 more
Caused by: javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)]
at com.sun.security.sasl.gsskerb.GssKrb5Client.evaluateChallenge(GssKrb5Client.java:212)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.HBaseSaslRpcClient.saslConnect(HBaseSaslRpcClient.java:179)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupSaslConnection(RpcClientImpl.java:605)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.access$600(RpcClientImpl.java:154)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$2.run(RpcClientImpl.java:731)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$2.run(RpcClientImpl.java:728)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1671)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupIOstreams(RpcClientImpl.java:728)
... 17 more
Caused by: GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)
at sun.security.jgss.krb5.Krb5InitCredential.getInstance(Krb5InitCredential.java:147)
at sun.security.jgss.krb5.Krb5MechFactory.getCredentialElement(Krb5MechFactory.java:121)
at sun.security.jgss.krb5.Krb5MechFactory.getMechanismContext(Krb5MechFactory.java:187)
at sun.security.jgss.GSSManagerImpl.getMechanismContext(GSSManagerImpl.java:223)
at sun.security.jgss.GSSContextImpl.initSecContext(GSSContextImpl.java:212)
at sun.security.jgss.GSSContextImpl.initSecContext(GSSContextImpl.java:179)
at com.sun.security.sasl.gsskerb.GssKrb5Client.evaluateChallenge(GssKrb5Client.java:193)
... 26 more

Shouldn't the JAAS get the ticket without the need of kinit?

I appreciate any help :)

Cloudera Employee

Re: Can not connect to Secure HBase using JAAS

[ Edited ]

It sounds like the jaas.conf is not being picked up.

Could you try passing the full path to the jaas.conf to see if that works better, eg:

-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/full/path/to/jaas.conf