Highlighted
New Contributor

Hbase master start fails

Cannot start hbase master in Cloudera manager, I receive the following error:

Failed to become active master
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FileSystemVersionException: HBase file layout needs to be upgraded. You have version 7 and I want version 8. Consult http://hbase.apache.org/book.html for further information about upgrading HBase. Is your hbase.rootdir valid? If so, you may need to run 'hbase hbck -fixVersionFile'.
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FSUtils.checkVersion(FSUtils.java:603)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.checkRootDir(MasterFileSystem.java:436)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.createInitialFileSystemLayout(MasterFileSystem.java:145)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.<init>(MasterFileSystem.java:125)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.finishActiveMasterInitialization(HMaster.java:611)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.access$500(HMaster.java:169)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster$1.run(HMaster.java:1479)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Checking documentation I ran the command on server:  sudo -u hbase hbase hbck -fixVersionFile

which gave me the following error:

ERROR util.HBaseFsck: Another instance of hbck is running, exiting this instance.[If you are sure no other instance is running, delete the lock file hdfs://myhost:8020/hbase/.tmp/hbase-hbck.lock and rerun the tool]

Thanks

Kudos: 436
Solutions: 307

Re: Hbase master start fails

If you are certain no other HBCK is running, have you tried to follow the printed instructions (to delete the lock file) and retry?