Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

why i can't configure "-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC" in hbase-0.94.6-cdh4.4.0

New Contributor

Hi all,

I read the book "hbase in action" and check the configuration for hbase gc. But when i use the same configuration in hbase-0.94.6-cdh4.4.0, and find that :"

Unrecognized VM option 'UseConcMarkSweepGC'
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

"

why these messages happen?

Another questions : 

why some scripts are disappeared in cdh4 hbase like "add_table.rb" and "graceful_stop.sh"?
did Cloudera aggregate or deprecate them?

And some one advice me that "config 'hbase.regionserver.hlog.blocksize * hbase.regionserver.maxlogslarger than 'hbase.regionserver.global.memstore.lowerLimit * HBASE_HEAPSIZE'."  Is it correct for hbase cdh4.4.0?

I find that 'hbase.regionserver.hlog.blocksize' and 'hbase.regionserver.maxlogs'  are not the default properties in hbase-default.xml. So can you tell me the default values of these properties. 

Thanks for your reply!

yyx,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

@yyx for your GC settings question: this is not a factor of CDH at all.  This is something that your JVM controls.  What JDK are you using?

2nd Question: I believe this thread on our mailing list solves it.

Your final questions about the property settings are a bit confusing to me.  I'm not seeing how the Hlog settings relate to lowerLimit of memstore, but I can tell you what they default to in a Cloudera Manager cluster:

hlog.blocksize always defaults to your HDFS block size, unless you override it.

maxlogs defaults to 32

lowerLimit defaults to .35

upperLimit defaults to 0.4

HTH

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Guru

@yyx for your GC settings question: this is not a factor of CDH at all.  This is something that your JVM controls.  What JDK are you using?

2nd Question: I believe this thread on our mailing list solves it.

Your final questions about the property settings are a bit confusing to me.  I'm not seeing how the Hlog settings relate to lowerLimit of memstore, but I can tell you what they default to in a Cloudera Manager cluster:

hlog.blocksize always defaults to your HDFS block size, unless you override it.

maxlogs defaults to 32

lowerLimit defaults to .35

upperLimit defaults to 0.4

HTH

New Contributor

Hi clint,

Thank you for your help.

I use JDK6u45. And now i knew that cloudera advice me another script to replcae "graceful_stop.sh".

About the last question, i just found a lot of blogs about "how to improve hbase performance".

There is an advice in these articles : "hlog.blocksize*maxlogs  must be  larger than HBASE_HEAPSIZE*lowerLimit ". So i ask you to varify these advice.

yyx