Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

5.2 Quickstatrt VM not running on 4 GB ram,

5.2 Quickstatrt VM not running on 4 GB ram,

Explorer

Dear All,

I have downloaded the QuickStart VM 5.2 version for Vmware and not able to open that QuickStart VM my desktop.

My pc configuration as below.

Processor:- QuardCore

Ram : 4 GB,

No other software are running on existing PC, please help me to open Cloudera VM.

Its loading till Cent OS, after not coming at all?

Your feedback are help full.

Thanks,

Shivkumar 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: 5.2 Quickstatrt VM not running on 4 GB ram,

Community Manager

I'm not an expert but I think I see your problem unless I am reading your post incorrectly. Looking over the VM requirements for 5.4, which should be similar, it states that the VM requires 4GB or RAM. If your PC only has 4GB of RAM total, a VM running on the PC would not have the ability to allocate the required RAM as some of it would be used by the PC operating system and other software. 

VM requirements.png

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum

Explorer

Thanks for immediate response.

Is it possible to run Quickstart VM using existing system configuration of 4 GB RAM.

How can i do this if possible !

Thanks,

shivkumar 

Community Manager

There is no way that I am aware of to run the VM with less than 4GB of RAM allocated to it. Cloudera Live may meet your needs.

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Community Guidelines
How to use the forum

New Contributor

Hi ,

I have 8Gb Ram on my machine and I would like to test Cloudera Impala (and after this to install myself) . Which one virtual machine I should download : cdh , cloudera express or cloudera enterprise?

Thanks,

Aurel

Community Manager

Let me see if @Sean can advise since he is better versed at this than I. I can rule out Cloudera Enterprise though as your system has 8GB of the required 10 GB to run it. Cloudera Express requires 8GB but that needs to be fully dedicated to the VM which you cannot do while RAM is in use by the main system and should rule that out. Sean may say it is feasible with some limitations but I think CDH may be the way you end up needing to go on that particular setup. 

Community Guidelines
How to use the forum

Contributor

There's only one VM. By default it runs all of CDH (including Impala) from a Linux package install that is managed by standard Linux configuration and service management (e.g. init scripts and files in /etc/impala/conf, etc.) and only requires 4 GB of RAM be dedicated to it.

The Cloudera Express and Cloudera Enterprise options can be enabled via scripts on the Desktop of the VM. They will restart the services under Cloudera Manager. This will reset any configuration changes you've made, but should allow you to keep most existing data. They will warn you that you won't be able to run these options well if you don't have at least 8 or 10 GB of RAM, respectively.