Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Adding custom bolt in Enrichment topology

Highlighted

Adding custom bolt in Enrichment topology

New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to add a custom bolt in Enrichment Topology. I edited enrichments/remote.yaml file and started topology succesfully with custom bolt. Then I checked Kafka enrichments topic and see that data came there as expected. But it seems KafkaSpout does not read this data. When i remove my custom bolt, enrichment topology works properly (I mean KafkaSport reads and emits data to enrichment bolts). What could be the root cause of this problem? Should I inherit my custom bolt from ConfiguredBolt (like all Metron bolts did)?

Thanks for your attention.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Adding custom bolt in Enrichment topology

New Contributor

Hi,

I am using default enrichment topology in Metron.The data is not being passed on to "indexing" topic. How do i debug the enrichment failure. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Bharath

New Contributor

@Bharath Phatak See Storm UI Topology

New Contributor

Hi, you should never do this. Current version of Metron uses stellar enrichments, which do not require modifying the topology. The docs are here:

https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-platform/metron-enrichment

New Contributor

Piling on here, while this was an early approach in Metron, it's currently strongly dissuaded. The reason why is that it's very finicky to get things lined up right in the split/join portion of the Enrichment topology. As james said, consider creating a new Stellar function (see here for how to do that) and using the Stellar enrichment (see here for an example). Hope this makes sense!