Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Adding new Host in Ambari (Using two different virtual machines)

Highlighted

Adding new Host in Ambari (Using two different virtual machines)

Hello,

We are currently using two different virtual machines on two different laptops, each having its own sandbox. We are trying to add one virtual machine as new host on another one's Ambari interface using add new host feature of the admin mode. But we are not able to add another machine as new host. following are questions:

1. What will be the FQDN of another laptop that I want to add as new host?

2. Which machine's SSH key should be used?.

3. Do we need to add/change etc/hosts file before proceeding with above 1 and 2.

4. Currently both laptop's sandbox have following:

# File is generated from /usr/lib/hue/tools/start_scripts/gen_hosts.sh # Do not remove the following line, or various programs # that require network functionality will fail. 127.0.0.1localhost.localdomain localhost 192.168.2.16sandbox.hortonworks.com sandbox ambari.hortonworks.com

Will appreciate if someone can assist us adding another laptop as new host.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Adding new Host in Ambari (Using two different virtual machines)

Contributor

If you would like to test installing/managing a multi-node cluster using virtual machines, I would recommend you follow the Ambari Quick Start Guide: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Quick+Start+Guide

By following the instructions there, you can set up multiple VMs on a single laptop using Vagrant and VirtualBox.

I typically use it to create a 3-node cluster. If you have 16GB of RAM, you should be able to comfortably run 3 VMs.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Can you please post some guide on virtualbox.

Thanks

Contributor

Hi Saad, what do you mean by that?

You do need to install VirtualBox, but you don't really need to do any special configuration for VirtualBox.

You just need to follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide.

Let me know if you are stuck at a specific place in the guide.

Thanks.

Highlighted

I am running sandbox on virtualbox and accessing it from my windows browser and everything is working fine. the same Im doing on another laptop. Now I want to make a cluster of two nodes both running on virtualbox on different laptops.

Thanks a lot for your help

Highlighted

Guru

Also, FWIW, some guidelines on preparing your Environment/machines can be found here too...

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.1.1/bk_Installing_HDP_AMB/content/_prepare_the_e...

Highlighted

Hi @Saad Siddique,

The Sandbox has been developed to test Hadoop quickly and easily in a VM that contains all the components. If you want to have a "real" cluster with several nodes, I highly recommand you to install a cluster from scratch using Ambari. Previous answers have given you the links for the required information. The Vagrant option is very good to start with.