Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Ambari API Ranger installation failed for disabled log4j logging

Highlighted

Ambari API Ranger installation failed for disabled log4j logging

New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to test a script for installing Ranger service on a HDP cluster, but procedure keeps failing when trying to install Ranger components.

Upon Ambari API request to start installing all components needed, I'm asked for a admin-log4j property, but on my API request configurations I've disabled logging through log4j by setting xasecure.audit.log4j.is.enabled as false, that's why I don't specify that variable.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER/0.4.0/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 208, in <module>
    RangerAdmin().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 280, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER/0.4.0/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 52, in install
    self.configure(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER/0.4.0/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 133, in configure
    ranger('ranger_admin', upgrade_type=upgrade_type)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER/0.4.0/package/scripts/setup_ranger_xml.py", line 45, in ranger
    setup_ranger_admin(upgrade_type=upgrade_type)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER/0.4.0/package/scripts/setup_ranger_xml.py", line 187, in setup_ranger_admin
    mode=0644
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 123, in action_create
    content = self._get_content()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 161, in _get_content
    raise Fail("Unknown source type for %s: %r" % (self, content))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/config_dictionary.py", line 73, in __getattr__
    raise Fail("Configuration parameter '" + self.name + "' was not found in configurations dictionary!")
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Configuration parameter 'admin-log4j' was not found in configurations dictionary!

Can anyone help me out figure why I'm being asked for such property and if it's still needed while xasecure.audit.log4j.is.enabled is false, where should I add this property?

I'm attaching configurations sent through Ambari API for installing procedure. ranger-lite-configurations.txt

Thanks! Mauricio

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ambari API Ranger installation failed for disabled log4j logging

Cloudera Employee

Seems like you are missing the admin-log4j file under your ranger configs.

Highlighted

New Contributor

I do not need log4j logging enabled, hence why I don't place that file. Is it mandatory?

Highlighted

Super Collaborator
@Mauricio Garcia

You can include below config in your script. This is for admin-log4j config type.

{
        "Clusters": {
            "desired_config": {
                "type": "admin-log4j",
                "tag": "version1",
"properties" : {
"content" : "\n#\n# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one\n# or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file\n# distributed with this work for additional information\n# regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file\n# to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the\n# \"License\"); you may not use this file except in compliance\n# with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at\n#\n# http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0\n#\n# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software\n# distributed under the License is distributed on an \"AS IS\" BASIS,\n# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.\n# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and\n# limitations under the License.\n#\n\n\nlog4j.rootLogger = warn,xa_log_appender\n\n\n# xa_logger\nlog4j.appender.xa_log_appender=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender\nlog4j.appender.xa_log_appender.file=${logdir}/xa_portal.log\nlog4j.appender.xa_log_appender.datePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd\nlog4j.appender.xa_log_appender.append=true\nlog4j.appender.xa_log_appender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout\nlog4j.appender.xa_log_appender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %C{6} (%F:%L) - %m%n\n# xa_log_appender : category and additivity\nlog4j.category.org.springframework=warn,xa_log_appender\nlog4j.additivity.org.springframework=false\n\nlog4j.category.org.apache.ranger=info,xa_log_appender\nlog4j.additivity.org.apache.ranger=false\n\nlog4j.category.xa=info,xa_log_appender\nlog4j.additivity.xa=false\n\n# perf_logger\nlog4j.appender.perf_appender=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender\nlog4j.appender.perf_appender.file=${logdir}/ranger_admin_perf.log\nlog4j.appender.perf_appender.datePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd\nlog4j.appender.perf_appender.append=true\nlog4j.appender.perf_appender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout\nlog4j.appender.perf_appender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %m%n\n\n\n# sql_appender\nlog4j.appender.sql_appender=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender\nlog4j.appender.sql_appender.file=${logdir}/xa_portal_sql.log\nlog4j.appender.sql_appender.datePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd\nlog4j.appender.sql_appender.append=true\nlog4j.appender.sql_appender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout\nlog4j.appender.sql_appender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %C{6} (%F:%L) - %m%n\n\n# sql_appender : category and additivity\nlog4j.category.org.hibernate.SQL=warn,sql_appender\nlog4j.additivity.org.hibernate.SQL=false\n\nlog4j.category.jdbc.sqlonly=fatal,sql_appender\nlog4j.additivity.jdbc.sqlonly=false\n\nlog4j.category.jdbc.sqltiming=warn,sql_appender\nlog4j.additivity.jdbc.sqltiming=false\n\nlog4j.category.jdbc.audit=fatal,sql_appender\nlog4j.additivity.jdbc.audit=false\n\nlog4j.category.jdbc.resultset=fatal,sql_appender\nlog4j.additivity.jdbc.resultset=false\n\nlog4j.category.jdbc.connection=fatal,sql_appender\nlog4j.additivity.jdbc.connection=false"
                }

}
        }
    }
Highlighted

New Contributor

Is this mandatory although I've already specified logging through log4j as disabled?

Highlighted

Super Collaborator

Ambari expects that all the configs are added for a service. This is error in ambari, but enabling/disabling is for the service. Ambari scripts will verify if all the required configs are added to the service and fails if anything is missing

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here