Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Email Alerts

Rising Star

Hello All,

I need to setup Alert email in Ambari. Now as per initial requirement I need SMTP server with user id and password.

I talked to my network team they told me they will add 1 of my cluster server in relay server which allow that server to send email through firewall.

Now my question is what all I need to do in server ? Means which software I need to install on that server and what are the steps.

Hope you count this as a valid question. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pardeep Gorla

Typically, in order to set up an SMTP proxy, you'll need to set up your own mail server to send emails to the external SMTP server on behalf of the domain. What you would need to have installed would be something like postfix to handle the mail. Once you get your local email server successfully forwarding emails to the main server, you'll set your email server in the Ambari Alerts to the local email server.

This article has some information to get you started on configuring a postfix email proxy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Pardeep Gorla

Typically, in order to set up an SMTP proxy, you'll need to set up your own mail server to send emails to the external SMTP server on behalf of the domain. What you would need to have installed would be something like postfix to handle the mail. Once you get your local email server successfully forwarding emails to the main server, you'll set your email server in the Ambari Alerts to the local email server.

This article has some information to get you started on configuring a postfix email proxy.

Rising Star

@emaxwell Thanks for your reply.

So it means I need to set up PostFix email server on our XYZ server and add that XYZ in relay server. So my XYZ server send email to my external SMTP (relay server) and it will processed further.

If you have a Gmail Account then you can use the same as following in order to configure the E-Mail notification in Ambari:

Name: Test Email Critical

Groups: All (of your choice)

Severity: All (of your choice)

Method: EMAIL

Email To: Your@companyEmail.com

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com

SMTP Port: 587

Email From : yourGmailId@gmail.com

Use authentication: YES (checkbox)

Username: yourGmailId@gmail.com

Password: $YOUR_GMAIL_PWD

Start TLS: YES (checkbox) ==> MUST (when using gmail port 587)

Rising Star

@Joy Thanks for the details. But unfortunatelly I can not use gmail as its blocked by proxy.