Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Host Registration Failed - Unable to install on hosts

Expert Contributor

i am unable to create hadoop clusters using Ambari. I am completely stuck in the third step, did everything I could but couldn't. I provided correct FQDN and valid ssh private key

When I gave ssh user account as : sridhar, I got this error

==========================
Creating target directory...

Command start time 2016-03-06 18:23:37
Automatic Agent registration timed out (timeout = 300 seconds). Check your network connectivity and retry registration, or use manual agent registration.

When I gave the ssh user account as: root, I got this error

Creating target directory...

Command start time 2016-03-06 18:43:30

Permission denied (publickey,password).
SSH command execution finished
host=sridhar25.sridhar.com, exitcode=255
Command end time 2016-03-06 18:43:31

ERROR: Bootstrap of host sridhar25.sridhar.com fails because previous action finished with non-zero exit code (255)
ERROR MESSAGE: Permission denied (publickey,password).

STDOUT: 
Permission denied (publickey,password).

Can you help me proceed further?

what is the correct ssh user account to be provided for the successful registration?

Software Req:

Ram: 4Gb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
16 REPLIES 16

@Sridhar Babu M

It seems you have an issue with ssh based on error message "Permission denied (publickey,password)." and I hope you are providing public key instead of private key.

How many nodes do you have? Are you able to do SSH on Command Line? if yes, delete your SSH file from Ambari and add id_rsa private key.

Expert Contributor

@Divakar Annapureddy

Hi, I have added only id_rsa private key and not the public key id_rsa.pub.

I am just creating a cluster with only one master node, that is host machine. Because for multiple nodes also it is showing the same errors.

And ya I am able to ssh sridhar@localhost without any password, but root@localhost is asking me a password.

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

You can also install agents manually and bypass automatic registration and ssh steps http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.1.0/bk_ambari_reference_guide/content/ch_amb_ref...

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits

I have executed the above steps accordingly, yet ambari registration failed!

If i am using the user account name then it is not asking for a password (password less login),

but if I use root@localhost, then it is asking for password everytime.

Master Mentor

Setting password less ssh for root is a security risk, strongly recommend not to do that. If you say ssh for your user works both ways make sure to set that in Ambari setup. Try the manual registration step I provided link for. It's a lot easier.

@Artem Ervits

Thanks Artem for pointing security risk if we set password less SSH for root user but HDP didn't talk about it in their document and they are suggesting to do the same link in step 2

Master Mentor

Fair enough, it is left up to you to decide whether it is good or bad idea. You can use non-root account as long as it's part of sudoers, I still personally prefer to use manual registration. You use your own judgement.

New Contributor

i have already password less ssh connection it is showing Automatic agent registration time out.so i opted manual registration and i started ambari-agent all my hosts and while registering its showing error

Registering with the server...
Registration with the server failed.