Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Ambari Performance Warning - REST API (Cluster)

Highlighted

Ambari Performance Warning - REST API (Cluster)

Explorer

Long time reader, first time poster - please be gentle....

What exactly does this error message mean?

REST API (Cluster): 5,069ms (WARNING)

Clearly, it's a connection latency threshold warning, but it's not obvious to me what the endpoints are - and Google isn't being kind to me this morning.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Ambari Performance Warning - REST API (Cluster)

Super Collaborator

That measures the time it takes to retrieve and serialize information about the cluster - basically what the web client is doing every few seconds. Depending on cluster size, 5 seconds might not be too outrageous. Can you specify how many hosts you have?

I think there is a bug out right now where a large number of configuration versions (like if you have 200 versions of hdfs-site) can cause this number to be artificially high.

If your cluster is running well, then you can change this threshold value to something a little higher.

Highlighted

Explorer

We have an Ambari server + 3 "master nodes" (running things like NameNodeHA, HBase master services, and so on) + 19 "worker nodes" (HDFS data nodes, HBase region servers, YARN node managers, etc).

For HDFS, we only have one config group (default) and 26 config versions; I haven't done a full analysis, but I would be surprised if we have more than 9 or 10 hdfs-site versions in that mix.

Ambari seems to be responsive and we don't see any ridiculous or unexpected delays in page loads, including Metrics widgets.

Super Collaborator

The threshold for WARNING I believe is 5 seconds - you're just tipping over the edge of that in your post.

- Does it stay at WARNING, or does it go away?

- Historically, what has the value of that alert been in your cluster? Some clusters hover at around 1-2, seconds, others higher.

If the cluster is responsive, you can feel free to increase this value to something like 7 seconds for WARNING and 10 for CRITICAL. Typically, this value has a direct correlation to responsiveness of the UI.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here